Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New solutions to old performer problems  (Read 846 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
New solutions to old performer problems
« on: May 02, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
As I start my third year with my performer I may have finally found solutions too my oldest problems.

1. How can I light coals faster, super fast, like gas grill fast.

2. How do I keep my grill tools organized and self contained? Every cook looked like the set of Sanford and son.

Well lately I am happy to report success on both counts.

1. Speed lighting: lately I have been using lump for all my short cooks and I have found that if I light the coals in baskets instead of chimney I can light coals from bottom and top simultaneously: once the gas assist gets going I use a small weed torch

in a few key spots and the coals are lit in no time. Admittedly Not the economic solution but the $40 weed torch was a freebie with my Craigslist WSM, and while i am using two 1lb propane tanks at the same time, I am using themFor a much smaller duration of time so there is savings there. Some time I will use a small desk fan to move things along too or I want get the coals ripping for seating or pizza.

2. Tools. I have tried many different storage options but lately I have come to realize that a toolbox really is an ideal tool storage solution, who would have thought?!?

I have priced and measured many tool boxes but ultimately I decided to give the empty 22" husky tool box in my garage the first crack at the job.
I had tried it before but when it wedged the tool box between the ash catcher and the coal bin, the bin would pop open. I low tech solution fixed that:

My performer and it's tools are now a self contained with all the above and a triple tap extension cord so I can run a fan ( for lighting coals, or cooling the cook), a work lamp and a third electric device should I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Don_

• WKC Brave
Re: New solutions to old performer problems
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:03:13 PM »
Like a rotisserie...Now you can power a rotisserie!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

robert-r

• WKC Brave
Re: New solutions to old performer problems
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »
Good job! I love low tech & made in the shade.
18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland, Stackers, Roti Rings & Stick Burning Al Pastore Cooker