Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best Thermometers?  (Read 6151 times)

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
Re: Best Thermometers?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »
In the last few months I have bought a "Thermopop", ChefAlarm and Thermopen from Theroworks and I am one happy Customer.  All these devices are spot-on in reading temps.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:10:05 PM by tibas92017 »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 01:14:54 AM »
I use the Thermoworks: Thermopen, Thermopop and ChefAlarm. I also use the IGrill but I agree with @Troy that it doesn't have great range. I am going to be purchasing the Smoke

Nice. I have two thermapens, i love them so much. What's the ChefAlarm?

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 05:00:22 AM »
I too love my thermapen, except my wife must love it better because I keep having to go to the kitchen and fetch it when I'm out grilling I guess I know what she is getting for her birthday in July.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 09:57:23 AM »
If you are looking for grill temp only I'd recommend the Thermoworks DOT. You'd need to buy a clip to hold the probe and it comes with a meat probe so you could take quick meat readings with it. If you want pit temp and meat temp, the Thermoworks Smoke is great. As for instant read, I love my Thermopop. 1/3 the price of a thermapen and it's only a second or two slower.

I love my Thermopop and the Dot as well. 

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 06:25:34 PM »
I use the Thermoworks: Thermopen, Thermopop and ChefAlarm. I also use the IGrill but I agree with @Troy that it doesn't have great range. I am going to be purchasing the Smoke

The ChefAlarm is from Thermoworks but it's not wireless in any way.
Here's link: http://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm?gclid=CLaFi4_S-tICFZaNswodDnkH3w

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »

It's a one probe temp monitor that comes with a bent penetration probe and a pot clip (yes a pot clip, not a grate clip).  It has high and low alarms and will tell you the highest and lowest temps measured since it was turned on.  The alarm has a volume control, it's backlit, and it has a timer.  It's your typical very well built Thermoworks product that's a grate clip and air probe away from being targeted towards BBQ enthusiasts. 

My rant... They should offer a grate clip and air probe with the thermometer for folks like us instead of making us cough up $15 extra dollars for the probe/clip and forcing us to find drawer space for a pot clip and insanely long bent penetration probe we don't need or want....  rant over...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 09:07:38 PM »

It's a one probe temp monitor that comes with a bent penetration probe and a pot clip (yes a pot clip, not a grate clip).  It has high and low alarms and will tell you the highest and lowest temps measured since it was turned on.  The alarm has a volume control, it's backlit, and it has a timer.  It's your typical very well built Thermoworks product that's a grate clip and air probe away from being targeted towards BBQ enthusiasts. 

My rant... They should offer a grate clip and air probe with the thermometer for folks like us instead of making us cough up $15 extra dollars for the probe/clip and forcing us to find drawer space for a pot clip and insanely long bent penetration probe we don't need or want....  rant over...

Use your connections man! Make it happen, call it the  ABC Edition. I'll buy one.
If my wife will let me.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 11:16:45 PM »
The ChefAlarm is basically a Polder $20 thermometer/timer beefed up to Thermoworks quality. With a really loud alarm. It is a great product probably not intended for outdoor cooking. Although the ChefAlarm would work just fine outdoors, I don't know of a reason to buy the ChefAlarm for outdoor cooking when you can use the Smoke.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:46 PM »
I don't know of a reason to buy the ChefAlarm for outdoor cooking when you can use the Smoke.

GAS. Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 04:47:59 PM »
I don't know of a reason to buy the ChefAlarm for outdoor cooking when you can use the Smoke.

GAS. Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.

I bought the ChefAlarm well before they came out the Smoke. I have used it outdoors for years. If it rains I put into a Ziploc bag and poke a small hole through it for the probe(just to be safe). No matter though...Thermoworks has all great stuff and yes I have GAS! LOL!

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »
I think I may pick up the smoke... I see however that they are introducing the smoke gateway (coming in 2017).. a wifi enabled device that interfaces with a smartphone. I wonder if that will be an add-on for the smoke or should I wait a little if it would be a new version of the smoke
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 09:02:17 PM »
I think I may pick up the smoke... I see however that they are introducing the smoke gateway (coming in 2017).. a wifi enabled device that interfaces with a smartphone. I wonder if that will be an add-on for the smoke or should I wait a little if it would be a new version of the smoke

Ah-ha! I found the answer on their website after a little more digging:
Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi Bridge) & Smartphone App Coming in 2017
Get Smoke by ThermoWorks now. Use the wireless RF (Radio Frequency) receiver to monitor your cooks up to 300 feet away. Then this Summer you can add Smoke Gateway (Wi-Fi Bridge) to your set-up and get readings on your cell phone or tablet, anywhere! Smoke Gateway will work with your existing Smoke when it becomes available. You will not need to buy a new Smoke. Smoke Gateway receives the RF signal from Smoke and uses your Wi-Fi to transmit to the app. MSRP $89.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 09:26:17 PM »
I love the Chef Alarm I bought a few yrs ago on sale. I also bought the grate probe/clip. It all stores easily in the case. That said, had the Smoke been available I would have bought it instead. I'll probably get one when it's on sale, which I ASSume won't be soon.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 02:51:18 AM »
Started with backgrill cheapo.

Upgraded to maverick 733 like most do...

Then thernapen which is ivaluable...

After a while you can gauge your smoke temps and use thernpen..during eatimated IT temos checks.

If i had to do it over again...id drop the backgrill and reverse order and get thernapen first   .use it in the kitchen for a lot if other oven cooks..ie turkey et
Grills