Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best Thermometers?  (Read 6152 times)

Nolamike

• Smokey Joe
Best Thermometers?
« on: March 24, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »
What is everyone using for a thermometer? There's certainly no shortage of choices, which is leaving me indecisive.

If you wanted to get a good thermometer to keep tabs on your internal grill temp, without breaking the bank (say, under $120), what would it be?

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
Re: Best Thermometers?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
I have the Maverick ET-733 but if I had to do it over again I would buy the smoke by Thermoworks.

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
I have the Igrill 2 and really like it. It's made by Weber now I believe. I have heard great things about the smoke by thermoworks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
The Smoke......

shoebe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »
I have the Maverick also, but went it dies I will get the smoke

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »

I highly recommend a Thermapen for an instant read thermometer.  If your looking for a wireless remote thermometer then the Thermoworks Smoke.  Been using the Thermapen for over 5 years now.  I would have to say it is the one item I can't live without.  I still have a Maverick ET-71 I paid $15 for about 8 years ago as a back up.  Works but can be off by as much as 10 degrees. The Thermoworks products are exact on temperature readings.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »
The Smoke from Thermoworks is a GREAT device.
I have a full review coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5MQdHCxl0g

I'm also reviewing the FireBoard. It's a 6 probe, wifi + bluetooth, battery/usb powered system. So far it's magical. I absolutely love it.

The 732 and 733 from Maverick are good choices too. Earlier this week Amazon had the 732 for $24 - it's normally $45 or 50

I'm not a fan of the Maverick 735, or the igrill. I just don't think bluetooth is the best interface for wireless bbq thermometers.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
If you're looking to just monitor the grill or internal temp, The Et-71 has been great. $20 gives you one probe so you can monitor one or the other. If you need both and have the extra change, I hear the smoke is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
The Smoke from Thermoworks is a GREAT device.
I have a full review coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5MQdHCxl0g

I'm also reviewing the FireBoard. It's a 6 probe, wifi + bluetooth, battery/usb powered system. So far it's magical. I absolutely love it.

The 732 and 733 from Maverick are good choices too. Earlier this week Amazon had the 732 for $24 - it's normally $45 or 50

I'm not a fan of the Maverick 735, or the igrill. I just don't think bluetooth is the best interface for wireless bbq thermometers.
@Troy I real curious about the fireboard I have read some very interesting reviews it is time for a new one for me and was about to order the smoke. I had asked in product reviews if anyone had any thoughts on the fireboard but heard nothing. Will love to here what you think about it against the smoke
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »
Fireboard looks like a tasty bit of kit...
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 07:18:43 PM »
If you are looking for grill temp only I'd recommend the Thermoworks DOT. You'd need to buy a clip to hold the probe and it comes with a meat probe so you could take quick meat readings with it. If you want pit temp and meat temp, the Thermoworks Smoke is great. As for instant read, I love my Thermopop. 1/3 the price of a thermapen and it's only a second or two slower.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »

@Troy I real curious about the fireboard I have read some very interesting reviews it is time for a new one for me and was about to order the smoke. I had asked in product reviews if anyone had any thoughts on the fireboard but heard nothing. Will love to here what you think about it against the smoke

@JEBIV I REALLY like them both. They're both fantastic products.
The SMOKE is rugged. The unit itself is rugged with strong magnets and thick rubbery buttons. Mine has been dropped and rained and it still works great. The probes are heavy duty too, but they're too thick to fit through any of my grommets. The range of the receiver is great. Works from any room in my 2 story house.

The Fireboard is less rugged, but it fits my tech style PERFECTLY. It's battery powered, so as long as it's charged you can just plug it in and go. The data is easy to retrieve from your phone or a computer. It uses wifi AND internet, so you can leave your house and monitor your temps from anywhere with interenet access. The probes for the fireboard are a good quality probe. They're not as nice as the Smoke's probes - but if you take care of them they WILL last.
I love that the fireboard stores all of the temp history automatically into sessions. It's easy to view all of the data. You can even name the cooks so they're easier to retrieve as reference.

If you end up purchasing, these links will help keep the lights on at the WKC. Fireboard - Smoke

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 02:42:54 AM »
Thanks @troy heck i log into Amazon through the club when I buy stuff for work lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 04:43:33 AM »
Looking forward to the reviews. Can never go wrong with something from Thermoworks. I love my thermapen!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 05:42:51 PM »
I use the Thermoworks: Thermopen, Thermopop and ChefAlarm. I also use the IGrill but I agree with @Troy that it doesn't have great range. I am going to be purchasing the Smoke