Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Limited Edition Red 22 Kettle: News, Views & Reviews  (Read 155087 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Limited Edition Red 22 Kettle: News, Views & Reviews
« Reply #885 on: November 19, 2017, 04:26:23 AM »
@HoosierKettle and @kettlebb - Thanks kettlebb.

I am sure you can buy it at any auto parts store or online. I just happen to have a sheet of it at home. Can't remember where I got it from.

This is from the Red SSP restore lid handle that was off. Same deal on any Taco handles for me. Cut to size and punch center holes using hollow punch.

Here is a same stuff I have on ebay for less than $1.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gasket-Material-Fel-Pro-Karropak-Tan-Fiber-Sheet-1-32-Thick-Felpro-/152766106260

By the way, these fiber gaskets are made by Felpro made in USA.  ;)

Grate looking lid sir! I just ordered the same gasket material for my tacos... thanks for the info!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #886 on: November 19, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
This looks very good Mr Green Dude:

The Bourbon you left me is almost gone.....................................................when are you coming back?

Lol!

Thanks! I have the same fire place handle on the Ivory. So, I am working on diff. handle strap for this Red.  I am sure you will approve when you see it.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:33:24 AM by greenweb »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #887 on: November 19, 2017, 07:46:03 AM »
Very, very, nice @greenweb .  Well done!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #888 on: November 19, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
If I can get mine sorted, I will be copying you with the fireplace handle.

That looks great!

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #889 on: November 19, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »
It is possible to bend the taco handle into the classic shape, toss the shield, cut off the excess, drill new holes, and mount with existing hardware. Zero cost only labor. Would be nice to have a vice tho, as the taco handle strap is some stout material. The existing plastic handle can even be reused with a little trimming on the underside.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:26:52 AM by TD »

Jet300

• WKC Brave
« Reply #890 on: November 19, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
That looks like a good one to be picky about, @Jet300.  I would send it back, if it was mine.
I'm still waiting to hear back from the rep via email, but earlier in the day I reached out to Weber via FB messenger. Got a reply this morning. I'm floored on this one ... Really really disappointed in Weber on this one. This thing should have been perfect, not a poor facsimile.of the original....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #891 on: November 19, 2017, 09:43:31 AM »
I decided a long time ago not to order a grill and have it shipped. Better to buy cash and carry and inspect well before accepting. Most of my cooks are slow smokes and the inside of my grill is resin coated so bare metal under the grate straps wouldn't probably be a problem for me. Also the leg sockets are not usually visible so a little 2000 degree clear would seal that against any rust. I have always said I would seal under a welded handle that way to prevent rust (for a kettle exposed to the elements). However the Lid had better be perfect. No base showing thru the color. That is unacceptable for me.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #892 on: November 19, 2017, 09:46:20 AM »
Given the spray patterns of these kettle bowls, it's obvious that Weber or their CM is using conveyor automation with a simple spray pattern. It looks like the porcelain spray is coming in horizontal and not getting into the sockets. for a part as big as the kettle, would be more economical to hang the part as well. This Pacline GoPro video shows a similar system for propane tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokzhGQdzRo

Weber, if you're reading this, this is an easy fix. Just place one spray nozzle perpendicular to the leg sockets and it will be all good.

Here's another video with an overhead paint conveyor for propane tanks where there are fixed spray nozzles around the collars and one that oscillates about the vertical axis for the tank body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_1F7tpZr1A

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:49:52 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #893 on: November 19, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »
That looks like a good one to be picky about, @Jet300.  I would send it back, if it was mine.
I'm still waiting to hear back from the rep via email, but earlier in the day I reached out to Weber via FB messenger. Got a reply this morning. I'm floored on this one ... Really really disappointed in Weber on this one. This thing should have been perfect, not a poor facsimile.of the original....

apparently, they see black where the others see bare metal.  i am not sure this is willful ignorance on Weber's part.  perhaps the CSR truly sees black.  remember the dress some people saw as black and blue, while others saw it as white and gold?  perhaps this is part of the discrepancy between responses?
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Jet300

• WKC Brave
« Reply #894 on: November 19, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »

apparently, they see black where the others see bare metal.  i am not sure this is willful ignorance on Weber's part.  perhaps the CSR truly sees black.  remember the dress some people saw as black and blue, while others saw it as white and gold?  perhaps this is part of the discrepancy between responses?
Read their response again ..  they said there should be bare metal in the sockets... That's apparently normal to them .. I have to start looking at my newer colored kettles now...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #895 on: November 19, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »
We already have 2nd-hand confirmation from one of our unnamed Weber reps in harris92's post a little while back that confirmed bare metal is a defect. If someone has bare metal the issue needs to be pushed further.

And there is a glaring contradiction in that CSR's response.

"This area should be bare metal" contradicts with the very next sentence that claims "part of the production process ... is a black undercoat."

I'd respond, noting that!

The unfortunate challenge with ALL of this is with making a warranty claim depending on the corroborating evidence of amateur pictures. Absent some carefully worded text, a bad pic seems to lead to getting screwed.

Here's a few pix I just took of an older grill, unused (but slightly damaged by human-owner error.)

In this first shot, you're looking at both shiny and dull black. The shiny is indeed smooth like the inside of a bowl, or underside of a lid. The dull is, I guess primer? No bare metal.

In this socket it's basically all dull black.

It's an AT-code grill. 4 yrs ago, no paint at all inside the sockets, although there's clearly a layer of dull black primer AND shiny black under the blue. It's just that the shiny black does not extend to the insides of the sockets.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #896 on: November 19, 2017, 01:38:43 PM »
The only reason a company needs a customer service department that is known for anything at all.................is bad quality control. Just sayin'.

OK Mike, I need to talk you off the ledge here.

You are on a mission lately and this needs to be addressed.  For years Weber grills has put out a great product and I would argue is still superior to it's competitors.  I recognize some issues with this latest run.  However, your statement

"The only reason a company needs a customer service department that is known for anything at all.................is bad quality control"

Weber throughout the years has been known for its stellar customer service, during MLH, MBH Wood handle and OTG eras, they were great.  The quality control per your standards was good, yet they still needed a customer service department. 

Mike, I like you man to man, I know the person that you are and how stand up you are but you are really out against the new Weber and any changes happening. 

Come off the ledge, it'll be OK brutha.

Okay. Maybe the customer service department has been more well known lately? I don't know how big the department needed to be back then but this is now. By their own standard....not mine..........seven of the last eight new in the box Kettles that have been through my hands have been defective....seven of eight. I am speaking about the quality control with some experience and a whole heck of a lot of time wasted. Time that good feelings and a bunch of meat on the grill will not fix.

This is in the last three years....and I do not think those Kettles.....a pair of Copper non tacos, a taco and non taco Crimson and four Smoke MT's.....were Chinese made at all.

I would advise anyone looking to buy a Kettle to do it in person and verify the product is good to go before leaving the place you buy it.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:40:17 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #897 on: November 19, 2017, 02:13:49 PM »
High profits allow long warranties and staff ready and waiting to replace metal parts at the drop of a hat.

The initial product could be shit or great; it's unrelated to the issue of what happens after the sale. Having to spend lots of time and some angst getting resolution isn't really a signifier of bad customer service unless you have excessive hoops to jump through.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #898 on: November 19, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »
Big Box Store Displays

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #899 on: November 19, 2017, 03:30:49 PM »
Reading directions....optional

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app