Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Time Restore  (Read 3736 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: First Time Restore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 08:11:51 AM »
@LicenseToGrill -  I found my ash bar.  It has some surface rust but is still very solid.  I'll post some pics of it in a minute from my phone.  Also, check with @zavod44, he made some new ones and was selling them a few years ago.  I'm not sure if he still has any left or can make more of them.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
Here are some pics.  Like I said the rust is on the surface and it's still very solid.  I can give it a quick clean up later so you can see that it's in good shape.  Let me know if you want it.  It's yours for the cost of shipping. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »

@LicenseToGrill- I have a set of used, older #7409 ash sweeps. If you decide to go with restoring it using the crossbar and need the ash sweeps, send me a PM.  They have a little surface rust but will probably last another 25 years. They have already been cleaned with a wire brush and steel wool.

As you can see, the metal on the underneath side of the blades is still in great shape.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed Thanks, I'll let you know.  First, I'm going to try throwing mine in some Evapo-Rust and see the result.  May or may not be enough bar left.

@Cellar2ful Thank you as well for the offer.  I will also let you know if I decide to go the pre-owned route.

I figured this was the right place to get help for this restoration.  And you all didn't disappoint!

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
Shout out to @Cellar2ful for sending me a gently used old style ash sweep assembly for just the cost of shipping.  Incredibly nice of him to help me out.

Gonna take some time to finish the restore, as I'm super busy lately.  But I will be sure to post the "after" pics when I get done.

I hear food cooks faster on a red grill.  Looking forward to it!

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
@LicenseToGrill -  I found my ash bar.  It has some surface rust but is still very solid.  I'll post some pics of it in a minute from my phone.  Also, check with @zavod44, he made some new ones and was selling them a few years ago.  I'm not sure if he still has any left or can make more of them.

I bought two of these new ash bars from someone a few years ago that had them made.  I believe it was him.  I don't know what I did with them though.  I'm sure they are around here somewhere.  I do still have the original ash bar off of my 95 Performer that may be serviceable.  I was able to get a new Weber one when I was restoring this grill back in 2009.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 06:46:12 AM »
Mike and Jim are awesome guys!!  "Food cooks faster on a red" is an old grillers tale, food TASTES BETTER on a red grill is more like it!...LOL.  WELCOME and have fun with that red head!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
Very slow going on the restore because I don't have much free time these days, but I'm getting there.

My next question is where do you guys find the replacement leg caps for the end of the middle leg?  I see them on eReplacementparts.com for $5.70 EACH not including shipping.  That seems pretty steep for a single 10 cent plastic cap.  Not that I'm a cheap skate, but that seems out of line price wise.  I've had no luck finding something that looks similar at my local Home Depot or Ace Hardware.  Any other ideas on stores where I can find some (online or brick and mortar)?

Thanks.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
I kust rewrote a post on mod for 7444 ash sweeps to work with ash catcher bar with sketch of the mod in the thread.

You can fab a replacement ash catcher bar if you have the original as a template to work from.

Aluminum stock bar for raw materials is available at hdepot in the angle iron aisle.  I made 2 ash catcher bars from 1 A stock bar.  Helpful to have clamps and hole saw bit set

Grills

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »
Hey that thing has great bones! It should clean up NICE!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 01:10:44 PM »
Very slow going on the restore because I don't have much free time these days, but I'm getting there.

My next question is where do you guys find the replacement leg caps for the end of the middle leg?  I see them on eReplacementparts.com for $5.70 EACH not including shipping.  That seems pretty steep for a single 10 cent plastic cap.  Not that I'm a cheap skate, but that seems out of line price wise.  I've had no luck finding something that looks similar at my local Home Depot or Ace Hardware.  Any other ideas on stores where I can find some (online or brick and mortar)?

Thanks.
Here you go.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/white-leg-tips-at-home-depot/

Sent from my VS987 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2017, 02:05:46 PM »
Perfect, now I know they do exist in the wild.  I will be running to other Home Depot's and Ace's in the area.  Hopefully one of them will have the caps in stock.  The two I went to didn't.  It is such a hit or miss game with the big box stores.   >:(

Thanks!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 02:27:11 PM »

@LicenseToGrill - Rather than run all around town looking for them, you can check what Ace stores have them in stock with the link I posted. Look for the "Check Availability" tab.

LicenseToGrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 02:33:54 PM »
@Cellar2ful - I noticed the button to do that on the Ace website after I posted my reply above.  So yep, I'll just be running to one Ace.  Thanks again!