Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dropped a lid  (Read 3549 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Dropped a lid
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »
Last year with my brand new OKP, I dropped the lid 3 times in the span of about 1 minute.  It was the maiden voyage for the OKP & I had only used a Performer for the previous 13 years with the lid bale....I went to hook the new lid on the edge of the bowl and failed twice, with the lid falling onto the brick patio.  Frustrated, I put the lid on the Performer table, but did not put it on there very well, because it fell off the table...bent the handle, put a small dent under the handle, and scratched the rim of the lid....not my finest moment.  My wife bought me a slide aside for Christmas....$20 solution.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 01:11:48 AM »
Sucks for sure. I don't hang the kettles by the hook anymore. I have a couple wood rounds that I just set them on when I take them off. But, it falling off while moving is another deal all together. New kettle character, my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 04:23:45 AM »
I was in a BBQ comp, packed to go home, my Performer nestled in on the trailer... forgot to bungee the lid down. Shit. Nuff said.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 04:34:11 AM »
It is a big suck.  That feeling when it goes and you clench your teeth and start swearing at yourself.  Been there.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Cellar2ful

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 07:34:37 AM »

If you haven't had it happen, it is just a matter of time (or beers). Kind of like riding a motorcycle. You know the saying, "There are those that have been down and those waiting to go down".   
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 07:44:54 AM »
I haven't dropped a lid yet, but I did close a garage door on a kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »
I haven't dropped a lid yet, but I did close a garage door on a kettle.
DA FUCK?!?!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
LMAO! Gotta hear the back story. How bad was the damage?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 08:07:19 AM »
I thought the kettle was in far enough. I had finished grilling and having dinner and was heading to work. I walked out to the truck and hit the garage door opener to close the door. The kettle was positioned in such a way that it didn't block the sensor.  OOPS!!! Fortunately there was just a slight scratch and a very minor dent. After the door hit the kettle it stopped for a sec before raising up again.  I popped the dent out no problem.

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
Not long after I got my first kettle, I was lighting a chimney and decided it'd be a good idea to put the lid on over the chimney. Twenty minutes later I came out ready to dump the coals. I grabbed the plastic lid handle. It took a second for my brain to register that my palm was being seared like a steak. When my brain finally caught up it acted on it's own, as it so often does, and threw the lid on pavement. Not dropped, not set down, threw. Luckily, just a few scratches. Lesson learned.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »
This turned into a fun topic. Keep the drop stories coming.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
Misery likes company (lol)  Ok- My dedicated BBQ area is a narrow area between my house and detached garage.  There is a gate at one end leading from the front yard to the back yard.  It is sheltered from the wind and creates a warmer area by reflecting heat between the two structures.  Early in the afternoon preparing to BBQ later that evening, I  moved my EE Code red fade MT into the area in front of the gate.  After cleaning the ashes I left the lid standing upright in the lid bail.  A couple of hours later I was in the front yard and needed something from the back yard (see where this is going).  Forgetting about the kettle, I throw open the gate, hit the kettle and launch the lid onto the pavement. It lands handle side down and precedes to roll around like a quarter.  The bad part was I could not get through the gate to stop it from rolling because the kettle was still blocking the gate.  Good news was the lid ended up with no chips, just a very faint rash where it kept rolling in a circle on the concrete. I no longer set up my kettles that close to the gate needless to say.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:13:02 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
Honestly, I get it. Alas, I have some issues going on. It has just got to the point that I think that we bitch about bullshit issues.

My bad, I apologize.

It's all good man. You're among friends and we're all here for you.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »
This turned into a fun topic. Keep the drop stories coming.

Not funny when it happens but we could all laugh about it after. Right!  Very entertaining thread.  Foster Dahlet and Darko and Cellar2ful and 1Row incidents are too funny.   I don't like hooking my lids or even using my lid bale. I use a dedicated lid holder kettle.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:17:17 AM by greenweb »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.