Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is one size kettle more collectable than another ?  (Read 4980 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Is one size kettle more collectable than another ?
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »
I was curious has anyone ever seen production numbers for certain makes and colors ? I wonder if Weber kept those types of records ?
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »
Apparently a bad question .

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Is one size kettle more collectable than another ?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »
Apparently a bad question .
Sorry, just saw your post. No bad questions here. As far as kettle size and being collectible, it depends on the collector. Some here have lots of 18.5" kettles and some have lots of 22.5"s. Some just want Performer's, some just like One Touch kettles, while others prefer daisy vents. Production numbers, as far as how many of a color has been made, not sure. I've been working on color production timeframes. Determining an approximate year a color came out to when it was discontinued.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
Looks like you asked three questions. I don't know about the last two, but the first one, preferred sizes collected, it seems its less about the size and more about the model, age, and color (not necessarily in that order). On the other hand, the 26"ers and the Ranch are pretty highly sought after, irrespective of the color. I don't own anything larger than the 22", but kettle cart of 26"ers would be pretty cool 8)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:08:37 PM by Chad A »

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:14:14 PM »
Hhmmmm....makes me wonder how many Weber kettles have been produced since the 50s? 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »
I forgot to mention 26"ers too. and that some prefer a certain era of kettle. I love the kettles of the 60s and 70s but I'm game for anything that comes along.

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
Westerner.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »
Hhmmmm....makes me wonder how many Weber kettles have been produced since the 50s?

Millions...........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 06:27:38 PM »
I go through phases personally.  I really like the 22.5 because of all the colors and styles.  But then I see some rare 18.5 and I am like......mmmmm, 18.5 are really cool.  But then I see some sweeeeet Smokey Joe's and I want to get one more of those.   And don't even ask about accessories.

I am sure Weber has numbers on production runs as far as colors and sizes.  But I don't think they would let that information go public.  I don't know if anyone has asked them, but they might give you some idea of the old ones. 

Were you looking at something specific?

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
I think what ever you don't see or have is the most collectable.  I have 3 SS performers(0.00,60,00,75.00). I hear people making a big deal out of finding a cheap Performer.  Would have 1 or 2 more if I had not been out of town.  Don't see any brown, yellow, avacado,  two tone reds or sequoia around denver. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:14:14 PM by javahog2002 »
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »
Like everything there are different aspects of collecting. Most people find their niche and work in that space....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: Is one size kettle more collectable than another ?
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »
Like everything there are different aspects of collecting. Most people find their niche and work in that space....

I agree Brian. I never thought I would own an 18, but will soon own three. All vintage rescue. Will learn this summer to cook on one. I am thinking steak searing? Regardless, it is a fun hobble. If I don 't have it,  it is collectable.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »

I agree Brian. I never thought I would own an 18, but will soon own three. All vintage rescue. Will learn this summer to cook on one. I am thinking steak searing? Regardless, it is a fun hobble. If I don 't have it,  it is collectable.

Many times, the 18.5 is all the real estate I need for many cooks but my eyes are drawn to the size of a 22. My oldest Weber is a 60s era 18 red. I think 18's are more useful than they are given credit for. Their pretty sweet collectibles too.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:41:51 PM by Craig »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »
I just wondered if  some sizes were harder to find than others , I personally don't care I grab anything.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »

Many times, the 18.5 is all the real estate I need for many cooks but my eyes are drawn to the size of a 22. My oldest Weber is a 60s era 18 red. I think 18's are more useful than they are given credit for. Their pretty sweet collectibles too.

See Here ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"