Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: In for the long haul...  (Read 1546 times)

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
In for the long haul...
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »
Trimmed up some on-sale spare ribs. Will cook them sous vide at 165 for somewhere between 12 and 18 hours. Then I'll finish with some smoke and a little heat.
I put splashes of apple cider vinegar, teriyaki and liquid smoke into the bag. Also added pinches of my favorite rub and some applewood smoke seasoning.
They will end up tender, moist, with a little bark, and taste just like they've been on a smoker for hours -- at least that's the plan. Stay tuned.

Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
Re: In for the long haul...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:56:07 AM »
Took them out of sous vide around 3 a.m. and put in fridge. Just put on kettle, with some rub.

Brian

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:43:08 AM »
Sauced the trimmings with Maull's sweet-n-smoky. Sauced the rack with Bogart's Smokehouse Pineapple Express: http://bogartssmokehouse.com/shop/

Brian

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:30:04 AM »
Really good. Meat pulls off the bone easily. Moist, with a good amount of smoke flavor.

The 165 for around 18 hours gives me a pretty consistent result that I like. I was gonna try a little shorter bath this time, with a little longer smoke on the kettle, but my scheduling just didn't work out. Next time.

Brian

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 01:28:29 AM »
That's interesting. I've never thought about SV ribs. Pretty neat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:14:31 AM »
Thanks Travis. I was just as skeptical as the next guy on SV ribs. But I really like the result. And I like tinkering with the cook.

Here's a complete guide to SV ribs: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

Here's a video of Meathead Goldwyn on SV ribs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ornrw57DC2E
Brian

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13:40 AM »
@smokevide  that was a good read. It would be neat to do a side by side cook just for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »
Very interesting!  I might have to try a half rack and see how I like it.  I'm wondering if you can smoke for 2 hours then go into the sous vide?  Sounds like a great way to make ribs you can pull the bones out of then put on a bun like a McRib!!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
Mike, there's a lot of discussion out there about whether to smoke first. I suppose it's a matter of preference, but it seems most prefer to smoke at the end.

As for McRibs, check this out: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-make-homemade-mcdonalds-diy-mcrib-sandwich.html
Brian

Grillin.Chillin45

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »
Very interesting!  I might have to try a half rack and see how I like it.  I'm wondering if you can smoke for 2 hours then go into the sous vide?  Sounds like a great way to make ribs you can pull the bones out of then put on a bun like a McRib!!!!!!
I don't care for McD's formed fake "grill marked pork", but you have taken the idea to a whole higher level.
This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! And Grill!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 05:06:52 PM »
That serious eats article about making a mcrib is intense. I remember reading it before and it is for the serious mcrib fanatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow