Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Razor Scraper Debate- Long Handle vs Short Handle  (Read 3670 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Razor Scraper Debate- Long Handle vs Short Handle
« on: January 29, 2017, 01:28:56 AM »
Can anyone advocate as to the virtues of a long handle razor scraper vs a short handle one for cleaning bowls, and if there's a better alternative, list it?
Please and thank you.

Long Handle One

Short handle one
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
Re: Razor Scraper Debate- Long Handle vs Short Handle
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 02:09:22 AM »
I like the short handles, i find it easier to work with and to keep the right angle...

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 04:01:32 AM »

I like the short handles, i find it easier to work with and to keep the right angle...
Agree. Shorty 2 - long 0

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:30:41 AM »
I like short. Better control over the sharp edge and safer for the user I believe.

This is what I use. It closes itself sometimes if you push too hard, but it's really quick for blade changes. I change out blades alot when scraping out a kettle. I got it at Ace Hardware for $5 and it's made in the USA.

searching for 1 18" straight lip twist ash pan.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:43:57 AM »

I like short. Better control over the sharp edge and safer for the user I believe.

This is what I use. It closes itself sometimes if you push too hard, but it's really quick for blade changes. I change out blades alot when scraping out a kettle. I got it at Ace Hardware for $5 and it's made in the USA.

I use one similar to this ^

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:28:54 AM »
A small ViceGrip is better than any of those.

Just my $.02.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 06:18:43 AM »
I use the exact one Kneab uses. It does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 07:16:08 AM »
I have both short and long handle. I like and use  the long handle the most. The long handle is extremely rigid. I find the only flex is in the blade itself.  When dealing with hard, baked on, encrusted residue, I get less hand fatigue.  With the shorter handle one, it requires more use of the fingers to hold it.  The longer one can be gripped like a  fishing rod or axe handle.  It allows you to exert more pressure at the blade (scraping point) with less use of hand strength. I found extended use of the shorter handle scraper caused my finger joints to ache.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JN34E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1   (long handle)

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-11031-Scraper/dp/B000HYL1B6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1485705690&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=short+handle+titan+razor+scraper

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:21:34 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »
I mostly use a shorty.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »

this....had one on the workbench and used successfully.

i start with a plastic 1.5" scraper to get the soft mess off and then razor scrape the fun stuff.
Grills

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
No handle. Gives me way better control of the razor
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 07:10:51 PM »
both long and shorts have their pros and cons.
I end up using a mini needle nose vice grip most of the time.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 08:03:54 PM »

I use one similar to this ^

x3
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »
I have one of the little short silver ones like @Kneab. It works ok, but thet red Tekton looks really nice and would give good control while being comfortable to grip. I have used mine to remove paint from the porcelain. Trick is to fire up the kettle and get it hot and it peals off like tape. Lot less messy.