Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Varekais' Ranch Kettle... part 1, the clean up  (Read 4519 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Varekais' Ranch Kettle... part 1, the clean up
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »
I was leaning toward the maze, and was also going to ask about using gel starter.. ok, decision made... I'll let you know what your next purchase is when I figure it out!...LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »
@varekai -  I get using amazon to save money on shipping and get a quick delivery time, but you might want to email Owens BBQ tomorrow if you are going to need pellets too.  They sell both and usually ship with flat rate boxes, so you can ask them what they can cram into one box.  They offer some sampler packs of pellets so you don't have to buy larger bags as you are figuring out what you like and don't like.  Tell them I sent you and they'll throw in a copy of a bill I still haven't paid them on!!!!  LMAO!  That last part is not true at all!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
The last part, OH NO IM SURE IT NOT TRUE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 01:42:01 AM »
I have to figure out who did the powdercoating. I have some VW parts that need it. Sounds like its coming along great.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 04:33:32 AM »
Get the expandable one Darin.... Then get the tray as well ;D

The tube gives you more smoke, but a shorter burn time. The tray gives less smoke but burns for 12hrs+

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »
@Vwbuggin64 , It was Powder coating USA here in paso... 237-8886

@Darko , I was looking at the expandable but decided on the tray maze.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »
You'll love it! It's a great product.  It's pretty much all I use when I smoke cheese.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 08:00:53 PM »
@Darko , I think I will too.. I'm not a big cheese fan but I want to try smoking some salt and maybe butter, depending on how it turned out for mike. But also as supplemental smoke... cant wait to try it.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »
IMO, if you would like supplemental smoke, get a tube., It does better on a grill with heat already coming from the charcoal.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2017, 07:01:14 PM »
I got my frame from the powder coaters this morning, Damn it was hard staying at work all day. It looks great, put it together AS SOON as I got home. It was too dark for pics. I ordered white walls from Uncle al. The guy I had hoped could buff out the light scratches said no go... Oh well, battle scars. Tomorrow or this weekend I will get the lid back together, I took the handles and damper off 1) to clean 2) to make it easier for the body guy to try and buff.  I can't wait till it all comes together!!  Oh yea, my A-Mazen smoke plate came today. Gonna try doing some salt and some cheese (i'll give it away) always fun to get a new toy! Will get new pics up soon.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 07:41:47 PM »
the A-maze-N cold smoker is awesome. I can't recommend it enough. I'm not really sure what the tube smoker is better at, other than taking up less space.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »
@Darko , I think I will too.. I'm not a big cheese fan but I want to try smoking some salt and maybe butter, depending on how it turned out for mike. But also as supplemental smoke... cant wait to try it.

One thing to keep in mind for supplemental smoke is that too much smoke can affect your fire.  I tried adding my tube to my 26er when I did some wings using my vortex.  I out the tube on the coal grate next to the vortex.  I wasn't able to get the high temps I usually can and it was due to too much smoke choking out the coals in the vortex.  As soon as I remove the tube the grill took a couple of minutes and was back up to the normal high temps I expect from my vortex.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 07:00:27 AM »
@Vwbuggin64 , It was Powder coating USA here in paso... 237-8886

@Darko , I was looking at the expandable but decided on the tray maze.

Sweet thanks! Love the progress btw
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
An important thing to remember is also some of the methods we use. Mike makes the point of using the tube while he was doing some wings. In that situation, I wouldn't use a tube. I'd put a chunk of wood near, but not over the direct heat.

When I smoke cheese, I do it with the maze and smoke for 10-12 hrs, then let it rest and do it again. This gives me a nice smoke flavour that I like, but it isn't overpowering. Mind you when I do this the temperature is near freezing. In April or May, once the temp is warmer I do a shorter smoke like 4 -6 hrs and that cheese I need to let rest for a few weeks before it's tasty. That's when I use the tube.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »
Thanks everyone, I got post it notes ALL over my desk... need to start a folder for this wealth of information...You guys are truly helpful!  unless your info makes me buy something, which is pretty much always..LOL