Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilled/smoke chicken soup  (Read 1060 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Grilled/smoke chicken soup
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »
I have been craving chicken soup so I butchered a whole chicken and threw it on the grill to soak up some smoke for about 15 minutes indirect then seared it over my slow-n-sear.  Added the chicken to a pot of carrots, celery, onion and garlic with water and a couple of chicken stock cubes.  I also added a packet of Goya ham seasoning, my secret ingredient for chicken soup and some rosemary.  I let the chicken simmer for about an hour to make sure I got all of the goodness out of the bones then removed it and pulled it all apart.  Added the chicken back in then added frozen peas and white sweet corn.  In a separate pot I boiled some mini bow tie noodles with some chicken stock cubes then added the noodles to the soup.

It came out with a great smokey flavor.  I'll definitely be doing this again. 

Thanks for pointing out National Soup Month @Shoesrtingshop!   

Threw in the chicken back as well.  That's the only part of the chicken I didn't grill for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Grilled/smoke chicken soup
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:48 PM »
DAAANG Mike, Looks Delish!!!! 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:07:55 PM by varekai »
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:01:24 AM »
Now that's how to do some homemade chicken noodle. Looks great bud.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 01:14:33 AM »
Mmmmm, that looks yummy!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 02:19:57 AM »
Now that looks good great job Mike
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 03:04:50 AM »
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji3] very nice. Starting with bone chicken makes all the difference. I cheat by starting with a store bought roti chicken.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 03:37:38 AM »
@HoosierKettle that's not a bad idea! I might give it a shot. I'm not the most experienced cook and I've never tried my hand at soups and stews.  Getting some inspiration here.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »
Nicely done, Mike!  I need a bowl of that right now … Been fighting something for awhile, and this would fix me up.

Threw in the chicken back as well.  That's the only part of the chicken I didn't grill for some reason.

Next time … I recommend that you grill your chicken back(s).  Lots of added flavour there.   :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 07:06:41 AM »
Nicely done, Mike!  I need a bowl of that right now … Been fighting something for awhile, and this would fix me up.

Next time … I recommend that you grill your chicken back(s).  Lots of added flavour there.   :D :D

Thanks!  I've never used a whole chicken before and while tempted to grill the back, I didn't want to lose any juices or blood on the grill so that is why it went right into the pot. I'll probably grill it next time and see how it comes out.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 07:27:32 AM »
@HoosierKettle that's not a bad idea! I might give it a shot. I'm not the most experienced cook and I've never tried my hand at soups and stews.  Getting some inspiration here.

I wish I had a recipe I followed that I could pass along to you but I've always made this from scratch without a recipe.

Here are the basics:
1 sweet onion diced  (might seem like a lot of onion, but by the time the soup is done, most of it has pretty much dissolved)
3-5 carrots diced (chopped)
2-3 celery stalks diced
2-3 cloves garlic thinly sliced, chopped or minced.

Put the four ingredients above in a stock put on medium-low with some butter, EVOO or both, salt and pepper.  Let them sweat for a while and start getting soft.

Chicken prep:  Last night was the first time I've grilled the chicken.  Usually I just drop the bone in chicken right into the pot.  I might season them a bit with salt and pepper but most of the time it just goes in plain.  The chicken last night was cooked indirect for about 15-20 minutes with a few chunks of apple wood and a chunk of cherry.  I Didn't pick those two flavors for any reason other than I am running low on wood chunks and that is what I had available.  I used my slow-n-sear with a little over a half chimney of KBB then dumped it into my slow-n-sear.  Once the chicken had smoked for 15-20 minutes I put it over the direct side with the lid off and let some flames do their thing.  I did temp one of the breasts when I pulled the chicken off and it was around 90 IT.  I didn't use the grill to completely cook the chicken, just to impart some smoke and char flavor.

Add chicken to the stock pot then add enough water to cover everything.  Add a couple of cubes of chicken bouillon and one packet of Goya Ham flavored concentrate (this is my secret ingredient).  At this point I usually add a little more salt, rosemary, and whatever random spices speak to me.  Last night it was a little bit of cumin.  I usually add a pinch of turmeric, but forgot it last night and didn't notice a difference in tastes.  Turmeric just helps give the soups a nice color.

Bring pot to a boil then turn back and simmer for at least an hour.  I usually look at the chicken bones and cook until I can see that the marrow in the bones is working its way out.  Once I see this I let it simmer for a little longer.  Since the chicken is in water you don't really have to worry about overcooking it.

Remove the chicken from the soup to cool for a little bit then remove form the bones and either pull or chop.  I usually just pull it.

Add chicken back to the pot, then add frozen peas and corn.  Sweet corn is my preference for this soup.  Also, don't worry about tasting the soup until after you have added the peas and corn.  These add a bit of sweetness to the soup and I've found that trying to adjust the seasoning (salt and pepper) prior to adding the peas and corn doesn't work for me.  Let the pot come back to a simmer or slow boil then simmer for another 15-20 minutes.  At this point I will taste and add any salt, pepper, garlic powder, another bouillon cube, etc as needed.

I always make my noodles (either mini bow ties, or egg noodles) in a separate pot and use a bouillon cube or two and some kosher salt so that the noodles absorb some chicken flavor.  Most of the time I actually keep the pasta separate so that the noodles don't get to soggy in the soup.  When serving the soup I will put some noodles in the bowl then add the soup to it.  Last night I went ahead and added the noodles to the soup.  The noodles were already getting soggy when I served it, but it was still good.  How you decided to add the noodles is really a personal call.  If you do add the noodles directly to the pot of soup, keep in mind that they might absorb some of the salt so you might have to add a little more, but you can figure that out by taste.  Everyone can always add salt the table as needed as well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:30:45 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 07:43:17 AM »
Very cool Mike. Sounds awesome.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.