Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef Back Ribs  (Read 1582 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Beef Back Ribs
« on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »
After seeing a couple recent beef back rib cooks on here, I decided I was going to try these, no matter what. I frequently see these next to the short ribs, but always pass, due to a real lack of meat. Over the course of three or four days, I collected enough decently meaty ones to get a cook going. I also grabbed a chuck roast to throw on too.

My cooker today was a 18” C code Brownie I picked up a few weeks ago, along with my Cajun Bandit Stacker. This thing is so fuel efficient, I decided to use a couple fire bricks to confine the fuel to an even smaller pile. I used Stubb’s briquettes, with some hickory chunks for flavor.

I added a dozen fully lit briquettes and closed it up to get the fire settled in.

The chuck roast is just a bit over 2lbs and the ribs are about 1/2lb each.

I lightly sprinkled some Tony Chachere’s, Suzy Q’s tri tip seasoning and fresh cracked pepper. 

After about 2-hours, I decided to have a look and take a pic.

I took the chuck roast off after about three hours and put in the oven with some beef broth. This next pic is about 4-hours into the cook.

Close to 6-hours later and they are done!

These ribs were meaty enough to make it worth the effort and they were very tasty! Beef short ribs are still my favorite, but I’d grab these again, if I stumble on some decent ones. This cook went just about 6-hours, running an average of 250*, and I actually still had a bit of fuel left.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Beef Back Ribs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »
Looks incredible Jason. I really like the setup for your fire. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »
Nice cook!  Those ribs look tasty.  Like what you did with the bricks.  Cool idea.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:24:18 AM »
Very nice!  I didn't cook mine as long as you did and they were a little tough. Yours look tender and have great color.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jon R.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:43:32 AM »
Those look really nice!  So, other than the "elevation" achieved with the CB Stacker above the coals and the low temp, these ribs were cooked directly over the coals?  Is everyone finding the fire bricks at Ace Hardware?

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 05:54:52 AM »
Looks bomb! 6 hours straight in grill? Did You wrap them? Glazed? Anything. Got to take notes [emoji404]

Webers rule

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
Damn, ya'll posting these beef rib cooks lately... I just took some out the freezer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 04:35:53 PM »
Looks bomb! 6 hours straight in grill? Did You wrap them? Glazed? Anything. Got to take notes [emoji404]

Thanks Speedster!

No wrap, sauce, glaze or spritz. Just the initial seasoning I started with and the hickory chunks. There was plenty of fat to keep them moist and they are so rich tasting, that it is easy to over-season them. Honestly, you could probably not put anything on them and they would still be very flavorful.

I forgot to mention in the original post, that I used my 1/4" thick, 16" diameter pizza steel as the diffuser. I put a small foil drip pan, filled with water, on the diffuser.   

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »

Thanks Speedster!

No wrap, sauce, glaze or spritz. Just the initial seasoning I started with and the hickory chunks. There was plenty of fat to keep them moist and they are so rich tasting, that it is easy to over-season them. Honestly, you could probably not put anything on them and they would still be very flavorful.

I forgot to mention in the original post, that I used my 1/4" thick, 16" diameter pizza steel as the diffuser. I put a small foil drip pan, filled with water, on the diffuser.

I thought the same thing!  I was shocked. I only salt a peppered and just dusted with some Tony's seasoning and they tasted border line over seasoned because they have so much flavor on their own. Hard to explain unless you have had them.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:31:33 PM »
Looks amazing. Great color on the ribs. How you set it up is almost same as using WSM. I like the fire brick idea.

I like the fire brick idea.  For crispy wings... using charcoal basket with some fire bricks around the sides will work just as well as using Vortex is what I am thinking.