Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding a bail  (Read 4743 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Adding a bail
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:11:16 AM »
I would like to add a lid bail to my dad's ots. Anything but black ots kettles are slim to none in my area so I've given up on finding a master touch used.

So is this possible?  And is the part number 63058 the part I need. I assume I just need to drill a few holes and install. Is that all there is to it?

I already have a flip grate and baskets coming for him. Adding a lid bail as well would really make it a nice simple set up I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Adding a bail
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 06:19:27 AM »
Should not be difficult.  Three holes total.

I had wanted to do this very thing to a OTS, then rescued a One-Touch Plus last spring, so no need.

You never know what might show-up on CL.  However, this time of year it tends to slow down.

I have the measurements around somewhere.  If you need them let me know.  Good luck with it.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 07:02:07 AM »
Like MacEggs said, keep at it.  You never know what might come up when you least expecte it. 

I will be doing this mod in near future.  Cutting the back handle off and drilling 3 holes to add the lid bale assy.  Not sure if I should document this or not.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Adding a bail
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 07:13:22 AM »
Thanks guys. You should document it greenweb. I've gotten impatient on waiting on used. Cheapest shipping option on Ereplacement parts is $24.95. Seems steep. I thought it might go down by adding stuff but it didn't. I'm debating adding lid therm / bezel and bale to both his and my grill. That would be $140. Might not sound worth it on the surface but given scarcity of used parts in my area and the fact that I prefer the welded handles over the taco makes this option sound more attractive over buying new.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
Done.

1x 63058 bale for his grill
2x 63027 bezel for both
2x 63028 thermometer for both

$92 shipped. I decided I could live without the bale for now. Should be a quick fun project.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »
I debated getting a cheap grill therm from lowes instead but I just couldn't live with myself without a stock looking set up. I hate seeing therms without the bezel for some reason.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »
Ill be adding a bale to project ZZ top here in the next month or so. Should be easy. Cant wait to see your kettle all decked out with the bling you ordered

Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »
So I just realized I ordered the wrong thermometers for my grill and my dad's grill.  part number 63028 is for the wsm.  I guess I knew that, but what I didn't know is it looks like this thermometer tops out a 350.  The kettle thermometers go much higher.  Can anyone confirm what thermometer part number I need and that will also fit the bezel #63027??

I'm guessing I need thermometer 60540?  But I'm open to suggestions.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
So I just realized I ordered the wrong thermometers for my grill and my dad's grill.  part number 63028 is for the wsm.  I guess I knew that, but what I didn't know is it looks like this thermometer tops out a 350.  The kettle thermometers go much higher.  Can anyone confirm what thermometer part number I need and that will also fit the bezel #63027??

60540 is correct for the 22" kettle thermo.  I am 100% sure.   63027 for Bezel For Thermometer is also correct.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:58:59 PM by greenweb »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Adding a bail
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 01:13:23 PM »

FWIW, @HoosierKettle, I paired a Tel-Tru BQ100 thermo with that bezel (#63027) and am pleased with the results.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »

60540 is correct for the 22" kettle thermo.  I am 100% sure.   63027 for Bezel For Thermometer is also correct.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.

I was leaning towards weber over tel tru because it looked like tel tru is around $30 each.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
Here is a reasonably priced Tel-Tru grill thermo with bezel from PK Grills.

http://www.pkgrills.com/the-pk-bbq-thermometer-by-tel-tru/

Why waste your money on a POS Weber thermo?  If PK can offer this retrofit Weber at least OWES its loyal base an option similar.

rant over
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »

I was leaning towards weber over tel tru because it looked like tel tru is around $30 each.

I've replaced over half a dozen POS Weber thermos on two 22" WSM's over the last 6 years. If they don't fog up and get condensation under the glass they stick and get useless. The same goes with the older Summit grill thermos. What were not replaced under warranty the money I spent to "keep it Weber" was a total waste. YMMV.

Now we could make the argument that I used them in comps and they bounced around the country in a trailer, but
the Tel-Tru's I have on my BGE's and Backwoods are spot on with years of service.

You get what you pay for
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »

I've replaced over half a dozen POS Weber thermos on two 22" WSM's over the last 6 years. If they don't fog up and get condensation under the glass they stick and get useless. The same goes with the older Summit grill thermos. What were not replaced under warranty the money I spent to "keep it Weber" was a total waste. YMMV.

Now we could make the argument that I used them in comps and they bounced around the country in a trailer, but
the Tel-Tru's I have on my BGE's and Backwoods are spot on with years of service.

You get what you pay for

Thanks for the info. I got a little trigger happy ordering stuff before I consulted you guys.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 04:15:01 AM »
Does anyone know if the lid bale I ordered 63058 is the same bale that's on the new master touch or are they different?