Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got a WSM!  (Read 4020 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Finally got a WSM!
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
Just picked up a 18" WSM @ Cabela's on sale for $215
Laid it all out on the floor and took a quick inventory. It looks like it is all here. I began assembly. Visions of smoke dancing in my head. Thinking of the brisket that I am going to break this thing in with. I assume that the cooking grates and charcoal grates are in the box still. I assemble the whole thing. It looks great. I go look on the box.... no grates😭
I called Weber customer service explained what was missing and registered it. They are going to ship me a full set of grates on Monday. Hopefully they are here Tuesday. I would like to run it empty a few times to seal everything up before doing my first cook. That was going to be a brisket on my friday off before xmas. hopefully I do not need to postpone it til Monday. 😣

searching for 2 18" straight lip twist ash pans.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:39:46 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Finally got a WSM!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »
Run a few yard birds though it, rather than dry runs. They can handle some higher temps, and are great for seasoning the cooker. Not to mention, delicious. Congrats! You'll love it!
Still need a 22” yellow

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
Yeah go grab some on sale chicken quarters and load it up. Cook them hot and fast. Cook some low and slow. Feed the dogs, feed the neighbors or whoever. They will be great and everyone will love you all while you seal your cooker up and learn about using it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:30:07 AM »
Just picked up a 18" WSM @ Cabela's on sale for $215
Laid it all out on the floor and took a quick inventory. It looks like it is all here. I began assembly. Visions of smoke dancing in my head. Thinking of the brisket that I am going to break this thing in with. I assume that the cooking grates and charcoal grates are in the box still. I assemble the whole thing. It looks great. I go look on the box.... no grates😭
I called Weber customer service explained what was missing and registered it. They are going to ship me a full set of grates on Monday. Hopefully they are here Tuesday. I would like to run it empty a few times to seal everything up before doing my first cook. That was going to be a brisket on my friday off before xmas. hopefully I do not need to postpone it til Monday. 😣

That is a thing of beauty, congrats
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Bob Ivey

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:51:04 AM »
Congrats on a great cooker and a great price.
Bob Ivey

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 03:42:55 AM »
Congrats man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
@Kneab  Congrats, She's a beauty. You're gonna love the 18.5 and I second the do some chickens the 1st couple times, no need for a dry run.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 06:46:30 AM »
Yer gonna love this machine! I can't believe there were no grates with it! Well, it's good Weber has your back on that one. Holy crap! Did you get it online or locally?
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 06:55:56 AM »
Thanks fellas.
I got it in store. No coupon $215.
Box was factory sealed with like 6 inch packing tape. 1 piece top and bottom. No retape. They just forgot to put them in. As soon as I have them I'm going to do what everyone has suggested and run some chickens through it to season it and learn my cooker. Once I have learned it  and sealed it  then on to the brisket.

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 07:14:02 AM »
@Kneab

Try swaping your grates from a newr style JJ, a fire grate from a 22 might fit in the lower end.

Otherwise if you have a hand saw and some bailing wire you could use a broken broomstick or plunger handle to make a crossbar and hang a chix or two in there.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 09:39:07 AM »
Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 05:49:14 PM »
Nice!!!  Run a pork butt too. 

Sent from my LG-V410 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
Nice!!!  Run a pork butt too. 

Sent from my LG-V410 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Plus 1 on doing a butt!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 02:45:58 PM »
Weber customer service is the best. I bought a use WSM 22 and the side handle well was weak
 They sent me a new lid!! I gave the old lid to another member. That's what we do!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Swordfish

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 03:20:46 AM »
Congratulations.  I just ordered one from a local hardware store.  Same as yours, 18".  Should get mine a few weeks.  I've been using a 22" kettle for close to 30 years.  Thanks to this forum I'm learning about techniques and tips including "seasoning" the new cooker.  Enjoy yours.  I can't wait for mine.