Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any Steak connoisseur that buy only the best dry age meat or .....  (Read 3244 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
I try buying the best grade steak (prime or AAA) on sale and think I got good handle on prepping and grilling good tasting steak.  To up the game, I was looking into The Steakager.  https://thesteakager.com/ 

Anyone have one of these or could offer some opinion on this or on dry aging in general.  This seems to be the real deal when it comes to dry aging meat at home vs buying expensive 30 days or more dry aged steaks.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Any Steak connoisseur that buy only the best dry age meat or .....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 06:26:36 PM »
@greenweb , I'll be interested in what others say also. I've been eyeing the Steakager also....
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »
i do not have one. one thing with dry aging in general is that once aged, you have to trim off the dried portions to get to the usable meat. so while you may start with a 5lb chunk, you won't have 5lbs of usable meat once aged. i'm curious about whether this product negates that or is just an easy way to do it at home(there are links on the web that show how to dry age at home without this device) and still lose the same or similar amounts of usable meat compared to other dry aging methods. either way, it looks like a great way to make steakhouse quality steaks at home and has my interest.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »
I do not claim to be a steak connoisseur but I do buy and eat a decent amount of aged steak. I am very interested in this steak ager because I have been contemplating building one out of an old refrigerator. I have been wet aging whole primal cuts for a while now but would like to attempt dry aging. Which is better wet or dry aged depends on who you talk to. I would like the ability to do both.

One concern I have Is the size of the compartment. It looks a little small for a whole primal cut. Most experts will tell you that aging an entire primal cut is a must. I would like to hear from someone who owns this.
May The Smoke Be With You!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »
@ JDD - yes it is a very compact unit. They may have a bigger unit in near future I hope. I will find out.  It looks like 2 rows of good size roast and maybe get like 10 steaks out of it after trimming. I could work with that.

https://thesteakager.com/reviews/

I e-mailed the manufacture with few questions.

You guys might be interested in this in the mean time.   http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/dry-age-shortcut-koji   I might try this out. First I have to find some koji rice.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »
I received the UMAi dry system last year for xmas. Been using it all year to dry age primal cuts at home. Works great. Flavor is amazing. I've done Strip, Ribeye (boneless), Ribeye (bone-in) and some ham (prosciutto)....

https://umaidry.com

I have not compared it to store bought "dry aged" but I have compared it side by side to regular meat. I love it. The taste is incredible, and you get a lot for your $ when you buy primal cuts (I buy at costco).

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 02:18:23 PM »
IMO, it's all bovine excrement.  Ask yourself; what is dry aging? What does it accomplish?

I did dry age a prime rib roast  last year. I started with around 7 lbs, and after 30 days I ended up with around 3 lbs of usable meat once all the dried bits were cut off.

There is a reason that dry aged beef is expensive. It's because if you buy 100 lbs of beef at lets say 200 dollars, and once you dry age it you end up with 60lbs of usable meat, your price per pound has increased.

I've tried the UMAI bags, and they are extremely expensive for what they do. As for that Steakager...you'd be better off buying a small bar fridge for a hell of a lot less money and dedicating it to aging meat.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 03:07:32 AM »

You guys might be interested in this in the mean time.   http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/dry-age-shortcut-koji   I might try this out. First I have to find some koji rice.

Koji spores are used to make sake (Japanese rice wine).  You can get koji from many home brew/wine making shops.  I actually have some on hand for making sake, never considered rubbing them on a steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 01:49:08 PM »
I got reply back from Thesteakager.  It holds 22lb or meat.   Not sure if they are coming out with bigger unit.

It looks like they are sending one unit to have it tested and reviewed by WKC from my suggestion I forwarded. 

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
I got reply back from Thesteakager.  It holds 22lb or meat.   Not sure if they are coming out with bigger unit.

It looks like they are sending one unit to have it tested and reviewed by WKC from my suggestion I forwarded.
That's about the weight of a bone in prime rib primal. It sounds like a whole boneless rib roast would fit.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »
So this is how I age a steak....
   Take a nice ny strip like 1 1/2 inch thick and put it in a plastic bag with 2 tps of fish sauce
( try the oriental food isle of your super market) squeeze out as much air as possible and put in fridge for three days. Every day turn the meat so that the sauce gets on all sides.
 Day four take out of the bag and wrap in cheesecloth and back in the fridge
On a cooling rack, so that air circulates around the steak.. day 6
Wash the steak with cool water pat dry and season and grill
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »
@ Lemans- thanks for sharing that.  Very interesting take on giving more flavor.  But, I am not sure if  3 days marinating and 3 days in the fridge would be called dry aging.

Supposedly, dry aged meat looses most of its moister in first 20 to 25 days and after that is when that complex flavor forms withing the meat as it ages.  For people who have been to the famous steak house in NY called Peter Luger or similar steak house will attest to how good dry aged steak can be.

Check out the video on the bottom of the main page.  https://thesteakager.com/

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 06:07:04 AM »
Update for members who were also interested in this unit .  Today, thesteakager is sending one to Troy for a full  review.

Looking forward to this. 

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 06:18:29 AM »
Great topic I have a fish sauce as to where I wanted to do a type of dry aging. I haven't tried it yet but I have the fish sauce. Now seeing this makes me want to buy this unit. It's perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule