Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Gen2 Performer  (Read 6024 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: New Gen2 Performer
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 01:09:37 AM »
Any thoughts on this rust?

Hit it with the steel wool and then dab some oil on it.  In that location no one will notice it.  It's character!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 07:25:18 AM »
Regarding table bolts:   You may have to drill them out or cut if you have space. I'm not sure if the tube is threaded or if there is a nut welded inside? Anybody?
The older performers used a longer bolt and an nut on the outside so if you do drill it out you can just get a longer bolt with a the nut underneath to hold the new table. 

For the rust, just steel wool and oil like captjoe06 recommended.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 07:44:14 AM »
Regarding table bolts:   You may have to drill them out or cut if you have space. I'm not sure if the tube is threaded or if there is a nut welded inside? Anybody?
The older performers used a longer bolt and an nut on the outside so if you do drill it out you can just get a longer bolt with a the nut underneath to hold the new table. 

For the rust, just steel wool and oil like captjoe06 recommended.

It looks like there are nuts welded inside the round tube, I can cut the heads off and I would assume they will drop into the frame and fall out of the bottom.  Then I should be able to use longer bolts and put nuts under the tube to secure them.  OR I can get pissed off about it and call Weber yesterday about it and have them send me a new rear frame piece.  I told them I was restoring the grill and asked if they would be willing to sell me the frame piece at a discount.  They sent me the frame piece and the hardware kit for 30 bucks so I am not complaining. 

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »
That was nice of them.  Good luck on the resto.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 12:54:56 PM »
Seems as though if you are nice to them they are nice back.  Strange concept.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 08:56:10 PM »
The last of the parts I ordered came today, the frame section and hardware.  I started putting it back together this evening, everything is going smooth so far.  All I have left to clean up is the kettle itself which I will do tomorrow and then I can put the rest back together.  Hard to believe this 10 year old grill is cleaning up this well, it looks damn near brand new. 

One question I have, I noticed the kettle lid has some very small scratches around it.  Is there a way to wax or polish them out of the finish?  They are pretty small but my OCD will let it bother me if I dont do anything to try to get rid of them. 

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 01:55:49 AM »
All I have left to clean up is the kettle itself which I will do tomorrow and then I can put the rest back together.  Hard to believe this 10 year old grill is cleaning up this well, it looks damn near brand new. 

That feeling you get when you pick up a kettle that someone discarded for next to nothing and had been neglected when you clean it up to reveal that hidden beauty underneath the dust and cobwebs, it's just awesome!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »
Here is the almost finished product, just waiting for some wood bale roller and a new handle from Zavod to get here and I can finish her up and start cooking.

This is the worst of the damage on the kettle but I assume its nothing to worry about at this point. 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
That's sharp. Gen 2 with black top and blue bowl. Hell yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »
Good job, that looks sharp.
May The Smoke Be With You!