Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning First Kettle  (Read 4036 times)

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
Cleaning First Kettle
« on: November 21, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »
So i thought i would document my first cleaning on my first kettle even though ive never grilled on one before. Made a post on the welcome page and had a suggestion to post before and after pics.

Since the time change i can't do this in day light so brought it in the garage. This one has a lot of build up and is slow progress.

My wife has a cleaning company so has had some good input. I don't really know what I'm doing so just going through the motions. So far tonight Go Gone has worked well. Although I don't know if it will hurt me later. Baking soda mixed with dawn and no water has too for scrubbing.

I have the lid upside down for scrubbing and it didn't appear to be touching the grate holders.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cleaning First Kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »
Looks like you are off to a good start. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the WKC restoration page: http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:04:50 PM »
Thanks, i have. Just using what i have on hand at this point. Steel grill brush and this handy plastic scraper my wife has. Seems to hold up rather nice. I did see a few bristels from the brush come off on a towel.  I will never use these again.  That's probably what's wrong with my stomach lol.

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
Ok, note to self,  razor blades are wonderful. Didn't think I could use one because i didn't have a scraper. Just holding it by hand.  Thanks Neil for making me give that page another look.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 09:45:48 PM »
Ok, note to self,  razor blades are wonderful. Didn't think I could use one because i didn't have a scraper. Just holding it by hand.  Thanks Neil for making me give that page another look.

Invest in a scraper, a pack of razor blades, and 0000 steel wool. If you decide to find other kettles down the road it'll come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:47:39 AM »

Invest in a scraper, a pack of razor blades, and 0000 steel wool. If you decide to find other kettles down the road it'll come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the more pleasurable parts of cleaning up a grill is when those shavings come off in nice long clean strips off with the razor scraper!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 05:11:51 AM »
If you don't want to invest in a scraper, just grab a blade in a pair of vice grips and you've got yourself a nice handle to work with.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 07:52:33 AM »

Here are two razor scrapers I have found to work exceptional and stand up to multiple (30+) kettle restorations.  All the ones available locally I found the blades start getting loose.

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Multipurpose-Razor-Scrapers-2-Pc/dp/B01E4J6R9A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1479833309&sr=8-6&keywords=razor+scraper
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:26 AM »

Here are two razor scrapers I have found to work exceptional and stand up to multiple (30+) kettle restorations.  All the ones available locally I found the blades start getting loose.

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Multipurpose-Razor-Scrapers-2-Pc/dp/B01E4J6R9A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1479833309&sr=8-6&keywords=razor+scraper

Thats a great combo!!!  I have something similar to the smaller one and have been looking to replace it as well as get the other style that is in that combo.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »

Almost there.  Looks like the handle indentions have broken through the ceramic coating. Has anyone else seen this?

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 06:08:12 PM »
Looking good. Just an fyi. Magic Erasers work amazing to get all the grease stains off the table.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Clean-Magic-Eraser-Multi-Purpose-Cleaning-Pad-4-Pack-003700043516/100666019

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »
Thanks,  that's exactly what my wife said for the table. Just keep on forgetting to bring one home.

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »
May have to get some of that Weber external cleaner. These last bits are tough.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 07:11:35 PM »
Almost there.  Looks like the handle indentions have broken through the ceramic coating. Has anyone else seen this?

Pretty common John.  I think it is caused by the lid being dropped on its handle. The rest of the grease stains on the inside of the lid should come off with an SOS pad or #0000 steel wool.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

johncorvin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
Thanks Cellar2ful, also there is a lot of "pitting". Looks like someone shot it with some bird shot or something. Any reason for this other then physical damage?