Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Injector advice needed  (Read 4277 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Injector advice needed
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 11:04:19 PM »

I went through a couple of the plastic ones when I catered.
The stainless one I picked up for $15 has help up ever since.
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Injector-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00WFDW3ZK/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1478717218&sr=8-20-spons (non affiliate link)

I've always wanted one of the multiple needle rigs, but I just don't inject enough to justify.

I have the same one.  Don't use it very often but when I do it works great.  Actually used it last night to inject a bone on pork loin.  If you've never used an injector with multiple holes on the needle, make sure you think about what you are doing!   LOL.  I like to use the one hole needle to suck up my injection juice, then hold it needle up and swap out to the multi hole needle then inject.  This method allows you to then put the one hole needle back on to refill the injector without worrying about getting meat juices in your injection juice.

This doesn't sound very safe boss.
Once the multi-hole needle goes in the meat, the whole thing is contaminated - even the liquid inside.
Even with the needle swapping, the remnants of liquid inside will immediately contaminate any new liquid it comes in contact with - including your fresh liquid.

I was looking for infos about injectors and came accross this topic. Could you please explain what is the issue here ? What is contaminated by what ?

Nothing is contaminated as long as you do all of the injections Pre cook.  I’d Never use the same liquid or injector needles mid or post cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I read it as:
1. dip single hole needle in liquid - suck up liquid
2. change to multi-hole needle
3. inject in raw meat
4. change back to single hole needle
5. dip in liquid - suck up liquid
6. change to multi-hole needle

with that procedure, the entire injector is dirtied when the multi-hole needle goes in the meat.
when the single hole goes back on, it is now dirty
when it goes into the liquid, the liquid is now dirty

all good as long as you're not keeping and using a big jar of the injection for multiple cooks :)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 11:11:16 PM »

I went through a couple of the plastic ones when I catered.
The stainless one I picked up for $15 has help up ever since.
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Injector-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00WFDW3ZK/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1478717218&sr=8-20-spons (non affiliate link)

I've always wanted one of the multiple needle rigs, but I just don't inject enough to justify.

I have the same one.  Don't use it very often but when I do it works great.  Actually used it last night to inject a bone on pork loin.  If you've never used an injector with multiple holes on the needle, make sure you think about what you are doing!   LOL.  I like to use the one hole needle to suck up my injection juice, then hold it needle up and swap out to the multi hole needle then inject.  This method allows you to then put the one hole needle back on to refill the injector without worrying about getting meat juices in your injection juice.

This doesn't sound very safe boss.
Once the multi-hole needle goes in the meat, the whole thing is contaminated - even the liquid inside.
Even with the needle swapping, the remnants of liquid inside will immediately contaminate any new liquid it comes in contact with - including your fresh liquid.

I was looking for infos about injectors and came accross this topic. Could you please explain what is the issue here ? What is contaminated by what ?

Nothing is contaminated as long as you do all of the injections Pre cook.  I’d Never use the same liquid or injector needles mid or post cook.

I read it as:
1. dip single hole needle in liquid - suck up liquid
2. change to multi-hole needle
3. inject in raw meat
4. change back to single hole needle
5. dip in liquid - suck up liquid
6. change to multi-hole needle

with that procedure, the entire injector is dirtied when the multi-hole needle goes in the meat.
when the single hole goes back on, it is now dirty
when it goes into the liquid, the liquid is now dirty

all good as long as you're not keeping and using a big jar of the injection for multiple cooks :)

Same injector and injection juice for one piece of meat.  Definitely not reusing anything.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 05:21:13 AM »
Spit Jack

easy in the hand, parts easy to remove and clean, a variety of needles and Luer lock fitting for medical needles, adjustable output.

I have used draw syringes like the Malcolm Reed ones, very good if your doing large quantities, again some of the better ones have adjustable barrels and fittings for micro needles.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 05:42:25 AM »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 07:03:57 AM »
LOL I'm lost.

I don't understand how the first meat injection compromised the injector, unless you pull the plunger back while that needle is still attached. That would make multiple, disposable needles irrelevant. I also don't see what the difference is between raw meat and still-undercooked meat; both would have germs.

Why do those Cajun injector kits in the grocery store have a big jar and only 1 injector, if not to reuse the liquid somehow? Or does everyone pump a pint of goo into what they cook before tossing the jar and injector?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »
Currently sold out but I like this one...

https://h2qshop.com/collections/killer-hogs-products/products/killer-hogs-bdi-meat-injector

I was wondering why nobody mentioned that one. I just bought mine and i think i was the guy who bought the last one or one of their last ones.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 08:08:45 AM »
I like the BDI like others have suggested from how to bbq right. Had mine over a year now and works great

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 09:14:08 AM »
My whole point was that the multi-hole injector is hard to suck up your injection with so I use the single hole to do that, then inject with the multi-hole needle.  With process I might repeat it a few times to inject the piece of meat, but I am definitely not reusing the injection for future cooks, it's a one and done deal.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »

My whole point was that the multi-hole injector is hard to suck up your injection with so I use the single hole to do that, then inject with the multi-hole needle.  With process I might repeat it a few times to inject the piece of meat, but I am definitely not reusing the injection for future cooks, it's a one and done deal.

Yes, that’s cool.

I read the original as you were doing the needle swap  in order to preserve the clean liquid

1 year ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »

I like the BDI like others have suggested from how to bbq right. Had mine over a year now and works great

Those do work really well. BUT if you get any granules in it it can and will clog the tiny filters. Once that happens it’s the beginning of the end. Also the felt gasket on the plunger would crap out on me eventually. I used up 3-4 of those injectors. They are awesome if you can baby them.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH