News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Lets talk basics, Salt-Pepper

Started by Eastex, March 30, 2013, 05:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastex

I'll admit, Alton Brown got me interested in Kosher salt. I think we still have that round cardboard can of Morton's in a cupboard somewhere but it's been years since its been used. We settled on David's Kosher salt as our brand, the flakes are pretty large and its usually available near us, I even find it at the occasional Wally World although these days I usually pick it when we're by a Cost Plus World Market.

Peppers the other basic and I'll confess that I haven't found a pepper grinder that I really like. Either I use more black pepper than normal or my grinders have been crap although in my defense I have spent a fair amount of money on some of them. They have always been too meager with the amount they put out. On a trip with the wife to Kohls I think I found my solution. While she was looking at clothes I headed off to the back to see what kind of stuff they had and there on a shelf was the Imusa Mortar and Pestle and on clearance at that.

It's a heavy sucker, maybe 10 pounds? I just throw in some peppercorns and grind away, still working on coarseness control but I don't have the "not enough" problem anymore and since its so quick I find myself using freshly cracked more often.
   So what are y'all's favorite brands, tools etc?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1buckie

The wife's got any & all containers loaded w/ sea salt....I feel somewhat iodine depleted lately......

For pepper, I load shotgun shells w/ whole peppercorns & blast away at a brick wall..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Eastex

You got the shotgun shells backwards, they're supposed to be loaded with rock salt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1buckie

No really, works great for cracked pepper, honest..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jaronimo

My favorite salt is pink Himalayan sea salt. 

We first found a little, 4 ounce,  bottle of it at Trader joes for about $6.  Now I buy 2.2 pound bags of the course (works better in a grinder than the fine) salt from Amazon for about $15.  I still use sea salt and kosher salt for my dry rubs, but the pink salt is better on everything else.  I grill steaks over charcoal with only pink salt and fresh ground pepper. they come out fantastic every time.

PS: when we first got it I did side by side taste tests with pink salt, sea salt, kosher salt, and regular iodized table salt.  Good Lord, I don't know how I ever used that nasty tasting table salt in the past!  After the taste test I threw the 3/4 full table salt container in the trash.  Hopefully i don't die from some lack of iodine disease.
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

Bman

I'm a fan of Kosher salt, but the pink salt has me intrigued.  Didn't even know it existed. 
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

1Cavman

While I use a CA Sea Salt on most of my cooks. This is one of my favorites as part of a rub...

Duke

I've used red salt, but regular sea salt does it for me. I also like seasoned salts as rubs now and then.

Troy

Not sure I'm ready to give up my secret salt just yet. Maybe tomorrow. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Craig

I bought some Pink Himalayan salt at work and havn't looked back. Its my favorite.

SmoothSmoke

Low salt for me. :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jaronimo

Quote from: Troy on April 02, 2013, 08:26:37 PM
Not sure I'm ready to give up my secret salt just yet. Maybe tomorrow. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well, we are waiting...
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

Tim in PA

Ghost Pepper Salt!!!

That stuff is soooo good!

I don't use it all the time though. My salt grinder has sea salt in it. Which reminds me, I need new ones. Both my salt/pepper grinders grind great but they leave a mess where ever you put them down at. I need ones that dispense out the top.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

jacoblee

I have a great finishing salt I love it is a flur de sal with black truffles. It runs $29 for a small jar. Its really a luxury.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/truffle-and-salt/

Sent from Galaxy Note 2 using tapatalk 2

Bman

Quote from: jacoblee on April 04, 2013, 07:40:22 AM
It runs $29 for a small jar.

For salt?  :o :o :o
Guess I'll never know what I'm missin'  lol
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!