Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me wsm  (Read 9552 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New to me wsm
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 01:54:33 PM »
Got the beans on. I forgot to take a picture of the beef before I wrapped it. It's at 165. How long in the wrap approx to get to 195?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 04:52:10 PM »

Everyone seemed very pleased. It was moist and tender. Didn't have a deep smoke ring but tasted smokey so I can't complain.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
New to me wsm
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »
Looks great Hoosier! How long total time at what temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:01:50 AM by Travis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »
About 7.5 hours at 235-255 temp range. I wrapped the last hour or so.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
Can you guys shut your wsm down when done cooking?  Second time I've used it and shut all vents only to find it slowly burning through my remaining fuel.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
I have no problem getting mine to shut down.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New to me wsm
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2016, 06:46:37 AM »
My top vent seems loose along with my front door. That's all I can tell that's wrong at the moment. That's a deal breaker for me until I can get this figured out. I hate wasting fuel.

Yesterday I had to transfer half hot coals from the wsm to one of the kettles to try and salvage the remaining fuel.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 06:49:16 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »
And most of my damper vent stop tabs are broken off. I can't tell what those are for. Are those necessary?

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 06:57:41 AM »
   My door needed to be slightly adjusted by hand which is very easy to do then I used nomex gasket for a tight seal through out. Some people buy the cajun bandit SS door so you could go that route, personally this is one accessory I will not waste my money on. For the top vent try a rubber mallet. Good luck.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 07:10:28 AM »
Mine shuts down nicely.  I reserve the remaining Briqs for future starter coals and fill in when I need them.

Brisket looks good to me!!!

Good Job!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2016, 07:16:41 AM »
Thank you!  The brisket was a hit and I was very pleased with it being my first one.

I don't want to waste any money on upgrades (yet). I did bend the door a little but will probably play with that. Also probably still the rivet on the top vent and use a nut and bolt to tighten it up once I try re shaping it a little. Currently it's fit and tightness needs work.

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2016, 10:23:02 AM »
Nice cook.  What a steal.  That will be a great addition to the Weber arsenal.

Whit

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
I had a nomex gasket on my regular door and it worked great. I now have the Cajun bandit door without a gasket and it's perfect.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New to me wsm
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 03:29:56 AM »
I've used the wsm a few times now and am starting to get comfortable with cooking on it.  One thing I've noticed is since I've installed the lid therm, my temps seem to be easier to control and maintain.  I theorize it's because I don't have the probe cable under the lid holding it up very slightly.  Is this just in my head?  Either way, I will not run a probe cable under the lid anymore.  Also, I think I'm going to install the silicone probe gasket thingy that the new ones come with.  The tighter it runs the better it seems.  Along these same lines, I either need to replace the door latch so the factory door fits tighter or I need a cb door.  I'm leaning towards the cajun bandit route.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:05:40 AM by HoosierKettle »

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 04:55:11 AM »
I can't give you one negative about any of the CB stuff I have. Some will say it's expensive, but this is how I look at that. I want quality stuff that will last forever. CB items meet that criteria. The only mistake I made when ordering was I tried to used my old door latch. I would suggest using the CB door latch and trying out their grommets that replace one of the bolts that hold the grill grate straps in place.