Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me wsm  (Read 9555 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New to me wsm
« on: October 27, 2016, 07:54:53 AM »
Thanks to you guys, grills seem to be piling up around me. Found a 18" wsm on letgo for $25 and couldn't pass it up. It is complete and came with a cover. Front door seems very loose fitting. I have some homework to do. I have no idea how to use this thing. I was thinking minion method with water in the pan?  How do the vents like to be set on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: New to me wsm
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:58:55 AM »
$25? That's a steal! Congrats on the score!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:05:35 AM »
I know.  Funny thing is it was on let for close to 2 months listed at 30 and had no takers.  I only noticed it the beginning of this month but didn't get it until now.  I wasn't really looking for one at first.  He had it listed as a smoker grill with no mention of it being a smokey mountain but I could tell from the pictures.  Price dropped to 25 and I noticed it still hadn't sold for a week at that price.  I knew I couldn't live with myself if I didn't get it.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:05:44 AM »
First of all... AWESOME GRAB for 25 Buckeroos!!!  I have the same WSM.

I keep 2 of the 3 bottom vents closed.  The third vent I crack open to 1/2.  I keep the Top Vent wide open.  I use the Minion method and have had great results! I also rely on my Maverick to monitor temps.  Once she settles in around 225 - 250, game on... She will run steady at those temps for HOURS!!!  Last cook was 2 Packers and it held 225 for almost 13 hours.  By then, Beef was done.  My first go with the WSM was with Stubbs.  I wasn't prepared for the run away temps. I normally use KBB.   She hit 325 before I shut down the top vent and bottom vents to get the temps down.  Took about 40 minutes to settle her down.

For the 2nd cook, I had some ceramic Briqs. (From a gasser project years ago)  I foiled the water pan, dropped in the Briqs and foiled over that.  Seemed to keep things calm for the entire cook.  Some swear by water in the pan, and some don't.  No Water = easy clean up...
YMMV

Good luck and awesome score!! 

As far as the door goes... I just deal with it.  I am afraid to pull the trigger on the Cajun bandit door.  Trying to keep $$$ in the kitty for meat. 

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:13:46 AM »
Check out this site also they have lots of good info on the WSM
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com
Nice score that's a great price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 08:28:21 AM »
Great score!!  Phenomenal price!!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »
Got a dead ol'lawn mower?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 10:19:28 AM »
$25!! Dude, congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »
Got a dead ol'lawn mower?

go on...i'm listening

msuiceman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »
I got ya beat by 2.50, lol. Great deal, congrats.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 06:24:35 PM »
Congrats on the pickup, you'll love it. Lots of good advice above. Here's another great read on how to setup on your WSM:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/weber_smokey_mountain_setup.html
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 02:38:20 AM »
Thanks guys, I've been reading threads on here and on the above link. Looking forward to trying it out. I did a quick scrape on the inside with a plastic scraper. Just getting rid of the crud but I don't plan on getting it perfect. The outside looks like it just needs the steel wool treatment. Water pan was pretty nasty. I'll give it a wash before using.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
I don't have a grate therm yet. What do you recommend in that and do you run the wire through the top vent or between the lid and body?

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 04:24:00 AM »
I run my maverick grill and meat probes under the lid.  I do have a dollar store therm I drop in the top vent just to see  what the difference is between the lid temp and grate temp.  I don't want to drill into the lid to install an aftermarket therm.  Thats just me... A little OCD when it comes to that.

Good Luck Man!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 06:50:20 AM »
Maverick 732 is my go to. I run it through the door.
Still need a 22” yellow