Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me wsm  (Read 9554 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New to me wsm
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 08:06:22 AM »
The door would be a good spot on mine. It already lets plenty of air in so it might as well have a wire :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 08:57:40 AM »
I don't have a grate therm yet. What do you recommend in that and do you run the wire through the top vent or between the lid and body?

I have the Cajun Bandit BBQ Sensor Grommets on my 22. Cheap and my 732 probes fit.
http://cajunbandit.com/accessories/
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
New to me wsm
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
I have a loose fitting door, run the Maverick 732 and have pretty much the same experience as others have noted. 

One thing that helps tremendously is when you set up the charcoal for the minion method. Don't light too many briquettes. Twelve or so should do.  Monitor the temps.  I always keep the top vent wide open.  When the maverick reads 200, that's the time to shut down your vents some.  I usually close all three two thirds of the way closed.  The key is to catch the temps on the way up. You let the temps climb to 300 before you choke them down, you'll be fighting to get it settled in.  I find it's much easier to start choking it on the way up.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:01:26 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 10:19:24 AM »
I have a loose fitting door, run the Maverick 732 and have pretty much the same experience as others have noted. 

One thing that helps tremendously is when you set up the charcoal for the minion method. Don't light too many briquettes. Twelve or so should do.  Monitor the temps.  I always keep the top vent wide open.  When the maverick reads 200, that's the time to shut down your vents some.  I usually close all three two thirds of the way closed.  The key is to catch the temps on the way up. You let the temps climb to 300 before you choke them down, you'll be fighting to get it settled in.  I find it's much easier to start choking it on the way up.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
My "lesson" i took away from my 1st 2 cooks....  dont change up the charcoal and only a few briq's to get started and  her settled in.  I used too much lit stubbs and i learned my lesson...  2nd cook was spot on at 225.
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 04:31:02 PM »
Thank you^^ I'll keep that in mind. I cancelled all other plans for tomorrow to devote to trying it out :-)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 05:08:08 PM »
Awesome deal. I would get the grommets from Cajun Bandit or drill a hole in it. You paid $25. Have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 05:32:40 PM »
Cool. Get some pics. What are you going to cook?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »
Not sure yet. Just got home from a high school football game so I'll have to do some morning shopping. Thinking ribs but not sure.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 07:25:12 AM »
Ribs are a good choice to christen a new smoker.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »
Well I went to sams and picked up a half of brisket. It's 5 lbs. I'm using kbb hickory and cherry. What I had on hand.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 08:20:37 AM »
Do I have any chance of getting this done today?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
New to me wsm
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 08:35:23 AM »
Yes, but if you don't have it on yet or just got it on then I wouldn't plan on it for dinner. Do you plan on wrapping?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:38:28 AM by Travis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »
First time using this cooker and first time cooking a brisket. Kind of an expensive trial run but I'll be happy if it's at least edible.

Thanks Travis. I was hoping for 7 or 8 tonight but I doubt it. I have a case of beer so I should be ok if it's a long one.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 08:42:24 AM »
If you do wrap you can bump up that heat some once you do.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »
3 hours in and temps have stayed steady between 230-245. I only used a chimney and a half of charcoal. Looked like I had burned through half roughly. Probably fill it up next time so I won't have to refill. This is a 2005 so it has the shallow water pan.  After 3 hours it was probably less than half full so I refilled that as well. Through a chunk of applewood in.