Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another painted kettle... :o  (Read 4448 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Another painted kettle... :o
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 09:43:02 AM »
didn't they know that black won't cover babyshit greens??
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 09:45:25 AM »
Great find.  Looking forward to seeing how you bring this one back to it's former glory!
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Are you done yet?

I wanna see.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 11:51:53 AM »
Epic Score!  You should go see who this guy is.  He maybe the one who painted yellow too. Who knows, he might even have few more surprise oldie kettles in his backyard all painted black ready to be thrown out.

Looking forward to a surprise reveal.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Another painted kettle... :o
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 03:10:16 PM »
This is the result of the 5 minutes that I've had time to spend on the 'Cado... Razor blade reveals a nice wide fade. She's got a hole in the lid, and all three leg sockets are bolted on. Missing one bottom vent, and the top vent has been painted silver.  It'll be slow going on this one... gearing for some hefty OT at work through the end of the year. Updates to be provided as the work progresses....

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Another painted kettle... :o
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »
She's got a great fade to her, Bob. Has anyone seen holes in the lid before? Maybe a silly question, but does it look like a bullet hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 03:26:05 PM by Travis »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »

Maybe a silly question, but does it look like a bullet hole?

It's a pretty small hole. I'm going to say... maybe.  If we meet up soon, I'll try to bring it along and let you be the judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
Bring it here, I love it.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 05:56:30 PM »
Looks like a 22 short hole. I have come across many grills, can't confirm, but have been hit with Red Ryders, Reds the most, larger than the normal Bulls-Eye.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 05:42:18 AM »
Awesome find!

I wish I would've taken a lap around the neighborhood Saturday as things were being put out.  The scrappers were swarming but I didn't see any kettles being carried off in their trailers full of stoves, trampoline frames, old fence materials etc.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »

The hole is consistent with a bullet hole as it is common to see jagged tearing of metal around the area of penetration from a bullet. Let's look at it from a forensic perspective. The second area of missing porcelain to the right (still covered in black paint), could be from the bullet impacting the inside of the lid after if penetrated through the original hole. The bullet would have expanded on impact and lost quite a bit velocity penetrating the lid. It might not have had enough power to penetrate a second time but the second impact would have caused the porcelain to crack and break.  The hypothetical bullet path appears to line up from left to right and slight upwards trajectory. Once you clean the inside of the lid, it will be interesting to see if there is any missing porcelain also on the inside where the second area of missing porcelain is.

Hell, maybe this kettle was owned by Anthony Giordano ("Tony G") of the infamous Giordano Crime Family of St. Louis. As @Craig says, "Every kettle has a story". Maybe this one's story is a little more sinister.

Sorry, I got carried away as old work habits are hard to break even in retirement.

It's a pretty small hole. I'm going to say... maybe. 

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »
The hole is consistent with a bullet hole as it is common to see jagged tearing of metal around the area of penetration from a bullet. Let's look at it from a forensic perspective. The second area of missing porcelain to the right (still covered in black paint), could be from the bullet impacting the inside of the lid after if penetrated through the original hole. The bullet would have expanded on impact and lost quite a bit velocity penetrating the lid. It might not have had enough power to penetrate a second time but the second impact would have caused the porcelain to crack and break.  The hypothetical bullet path appears to line up from left to right and slight upwards trajectory. Once you clean the inside of the lid, it will be interesting to see if there is any missing porcelain also on the inside where the second area of missing porcelain is.

Hell, maybe this kettle was owned by Anthony Giordano ("Tony G") of the infamous Giordano Crime Family of St. Louis. As @Craig says, "Every kettle has a story". Maybe this one's story is a little more sinister.

Sorry, I got carried away as old work habits are hard to break even in retirement.

I'll check the Zapruder film footage.......  ;D ;)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »

It's a pretty small hole. I'm going to say... maybe. 

Now I know what CSI really stands for....

Cellar2ful Scene Investigator [emoji23]

Joking aside, it does look like a small caliber round. I'd love to have a Cado and some dumb b@$turd shot one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 08:15:10 PM »
I'd love to have a Cado and some dumb b@$turd shot one!
…and then painted it black!