Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: D.C. New Guy  (Read 23930 times)

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
D.C. New Guy
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:27:56 AM »
Necessary Stats:
Name: Glen
Employment: USMC
Grills: Copper Smokey Joe(waiting for delivery), Traeger made Smith & Wesson 22mag unused.

Well I have finally purchased my own and first Weber charcoal grill.  My father is a gas man but Weber has always been the brand of choice. 
In high-school I worked at an Ace Hardware which sold Weber grills.  I could assemble a Genesis in under 20 minutes but the performers always took a few extra minutes. I use it be able to spout off specs and info on the whole Weber lineup. Unfortunately that knowledge is gone now.

I have always had a love/desire for Weber grills. Over the years if anyone buying a grill asked me,I'd direct them to Weber. As a group my friends and I bought  our buddy his first Weber, a Smokey Joe Gold for his birthday (7 years ago)
Well today I bought my first Weber. It's a Copper colored Smokey Joe. I found it on Ebay for a little under retail NIB. Hopefully it comes as described. Description states it has the locking carry handle.

I plan to add the SJS vent mod and enjoy it as much as possible whenever the weather allows.

I plan to enjoy this little guy camping as well as at the barracks instead of using the brutish community grill.

I look forward to reading and learning hear as I learn in the real world once my grill is delivered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: D.C. New Guy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 06:47:36 AM »
Welcome from Ohio, and thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »
Hello from Il. That's a great looking sj!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:40:22 AM »
Welcome from Arizona!  Thanks for serving!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 11:20:29 AM »
Welcome from Louisiana!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
Thank for the support y'all.

Just to keep my thoughts in order as well as recieve any input/advice. I'm thinking of using the 18 1/2 silver one touch vent system in my Joe, instead of the Joe silver vent.

I found a page with a gentleman who did this mod and I see a 2 for one with it. Ease of adjustment and added airflow.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 01:39:29 AM »
Welcome and thanks for your service!   
Pull up a chair!!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
How's this chair do?

It's all about portability over here so this chair and wee little cooler will have to do.

Update on my grill, it shipped today! FedEx is the carrier and tracking says  delivery by the 29th. Fingers crossed!

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
Well my grill was delivered today. Unfortunately it's a Copper silver model and not a premium like the ad stated. Still less than retail and I'll only be a few dollars over retail once I add the lid lock.  I ordered the lid lock and support from Weber right away and they will ship out tomorrow.

Looking forward to some simple grilling for this weekend as I dip my toes in the kettle world.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:37:27 PM by eLLWOODgGLEN »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 04:45:56 PM »
[emoji106] sweet. What do you plan on cooking first?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:57 PM »
I want to start with a basic grill cookout so maybe a steak and some eggplant and asparagus, maybe add some potatoes. We will see.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 04:56:57 PM »
Hey bud. The smokey Joe's just come that way. I'm not sure what was stated as "premium". Sure is a nice color. Enjoy!

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »
Hey bud. The smokey Joe's just come that way. I'm not sure what was stated as "premium". Sure is a nice color. Enjoy!

European models are gold models called premiums sold in colors. Was hoping the seller somehow had a European model.

Not the end of the world. Either way I was going to morph my Joe into a combo.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 05:00:52 PM »
Gotcha.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »
Welcome to WKC.