Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex + Wok?  (Read 2711 times)

Baysidebob

• Smokey Joe
Vortex + Wok?
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:33:56 PM »
My 26.75 arrived yesterday and is still in the box.  My medium Vortex also arrived yesterday and is out of the box.  So I was in the kitchen, looked up where pots and pans hang and noticed a wok ring.  Bingo!  Has anyone woked over a Vortex?  It's on my early list of things to try.  Wok worked swell on my BGE but I think it would be easier on the Weber.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex + Wok?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
I haven't, but it's on my list of things to try. Have to get me a vortex first!
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 06:12:02 AM »
I think it would work well, but you need to have some separation between the wok and the vortex so it can have airflow.  I'm not sure if the wok on the cooking grate with the vortex narrow end or wide end up would work better....I'm guessing narrow end up would be how the wok is really designed to work properly so that the bottom is really hot and the wok gets cooler as you go up the sides.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:19:31 AM »
Maybe they should make a half height vortex with a wider base. This could allow the coals to provide focused heat but ride lower from the cooking grate.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 07:38:17 AM »

I don't have a vortex, but from my understanding it can be used to concentrate heat.

It seems that the wok will get real hot real fast, and that may be what you want.

But for me, baskets, or coals just dumped in the middle work just as good, and get hot fast enough for me.

In fact, I always have another kettle open (yes, I have more than one kettle) just in case I need to move the wok off to help me contain the heat in case I lose control      :o

@1buckie  "the actual size of the pan & how much heat it needs makes some difference, I'm thinkin'......."

Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »
I do suppose it would depend on what you're cooking....

This is about all the lump, centered, that is needed to get fry oil up to 350~380 for a good, medium deep fry....

Really screamin' hot, for "wokking"....I guess the Vortex could be a good plan......might not need to go too, too over the top with the smaller Gourmet system woks?

Stir fry, for me, is usually not an extremely hi-heat ordeal either.....
(keeping it warmed on an 18" next door)

Some flame from the lump & Stubb's....plenty hot......

Containing heat can help in some situations....

I watch those guys when we go to Mongolian BBQ or the like & see the order & timing of how they do things.....that stuff might be more important than excessive heat.......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Baysidebob

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:22:19 PM »
Vortex sits below the grate and wok sits on a wok-ring on top of grate and allows air flow.  I just assembled the 26 and fired up the Vortex not quite full of briquettes.  The dome temp is way past the 600F mark on the thermometer.  It wouldn't take much fuel to get the oil in the wok smoking.  I control the temp in my woks by moving them on and off the flame.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »
I just use my wok burner!  80,000 BTU I can have the wok glowing in about 15-20 seconds.

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 10:01:17 PM »
My plan is to use my fire butler or my vortex to produce some high heat that is needed to cook your food fast. Just think that's all the Chinese had back in the day was wood fire heat to cook their food with!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!