Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advice on upgrades  (Read 3282 times)

Otis B.

• Smokey Joe
Advice on upgrades
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:50:58 PM »
Hi All!  Picked up my first Weber Kettle 22" on CL a few weeks ago.  Looking to trick it out a bit and need some advice.  I'm definitely thinking I should upgrade the grates.  A vortex is also in the near future for my wings.  What would you Kettleheads recommend as far as grates?  Also, there isn't a hood thermometer.  Is there anyway to install one?  And if so, where can I purchase one?

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Advice on upgrades
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:12:17 PM »
Thermometer can be ordered through Weber, if you want it to appear original. Little pricey for thermo & bezel though. Lowe's, HD, Menards all have thermos for around $6.00 w/o bezel. Can always get a thermo/bezel off a junk gasser.

Start with a 1/16" pilot hole. Then use a step-bit (or keep changing bits). Go slow to minimize porcelain chipping next to hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
Or skip the lid thermometer which is usually off from the grate temp and get a Maverick.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 02:53:29 PM »
I love my gourmet grate system, especially for using with my Vortex.  The vortex will put a ton of heat on a regular grate and really shorten its lifespan.  With the gourmet grate, I usually remove the center when I am using the vortex for wings, and I use the searing grate if I am cooking directly above the vortex.  The gourmet grate is also a lot heavier so there are less chances of warping.  The hinged grates on two of the sides make it really easy to add coals if you need to.

Here is good post that gets feedback from everyone on accessories.

and here is my post from that thread.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »
The lid therm is essentially a hood ornament.
I have them, have done tutorials on how to install them but at the end of the day, they look pretty and tell you when it's safe to put the cover back on.
GET A MAVERICK and don't look back !

On grate upgrades you'll have to decide on $20 (plated flip-up)or $40 (gourmet)or $75 (heavy gauge, stainless flip-up)or $80 (Craycort CI)
I run the plated flip-up but someday I'll prolly throw down for the heavy gauge, stainless flip-up.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:12:34 PM by DirectDrive »

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »
I love my lid therm.
Of the Weber branded ones that actually mount on the lid, i've NEVER had a single problem with one.
They're relatively fast and relatively accurate.

I think it's really helpful too, even if it's not 'oven cooking accurate'
Knowing temp range from cook to cook and observing how different temps cook different foods is a great way to become a better cook.
If I had to fiddle with probes and wires every cook, I'd be doing a whole let less cooking.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 06:59:36 PM »
I love my lid therm.
Of the Weber branded ones that actually mount on the lid, i've NEVER had a single problem with one.
They're relatively fast and relatively accurate.

I think it's really helpful too, even if it's not 'oven cooking accurate'
Knowing temp range from cook to cook and observing how different temps cook different foods is a great way to become a better cook.
If I had to fiddle with probes and wires every cook, I'd be doing a whole let less cooking.
But I can be watching the game, having a beer and know grate/internal temps AT A GLANCE.
No running around peering at hood ornaments.

;D

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 07:21:21 PM »
if it doesn't already have them, add an ash catcher and slide aside lid holder. the slide aside goes on tool free and the ash catcher just requires removal and reassembly of the sweep control arm. i'll also toss in another vote to add the lid thermometer. while it doesn't give you the temp at the grate, it does give you a way to judge how hot your gill is and you'll quickly learn where it needs to be to ensure your food is cooking at the right temp. plus it allows you to monitor temperature fluctuations so you'll know if you need to add more fuel or adjust the sweeps to control air flow. when i added mine, i just taped over the drill site with blue painter's tape, used a couple different sized drill bits to work up to the size i needed and then removed the tape and installed the theremometer. took less than 15min total time.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
I know that my lid therm is about 50 degrees higher than my grate  temp. I'm good to go.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 07:56:43 PM »
NEVER had a single problem with one.

+1

[emoji848] +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »
Or skip the lid thermometer which is usually off from the grate temp and get a Maverick.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I agree with this.  And there was recently a fantastic sale on it.  If you're going to do any smoking a remote thermometer is invaluable. Not that a lid therm is a bad idea but if I was only going to have one, it's a remote unit like a Maverick.  If I'm grilling as opposed to smoking I'm pretty much letting the coals rip with vents wide open or the lid off.  I'm fairly certain we all know when the coals are orange, shit is hot, lol.

When I bought my first kettle I lusted after a set of craycort grates.  Now after cooking for a while, I appreciate the lightness of the flip up grates and ease of handling and caring for them .  I had cast iron grates with my old STOK unit, they were nice, but a little more maintenance and not nearly as easy to take off with a set of tongs if need be.

I'd love a set of stainless flip up grates but can't bring myself to spend $75 on them.  If anyone sees them on sale for $40 or less let me know.

For the same reason I love the ease and simplicity of the flip up grates, I have pause with the gourmet grate system on the new Mastertouch.  I feel as though that removable center piece might be a bit of a pain to handle when you just want to take off the grate with the tongs or hang it of the side of the kettle * (disclaimer I've never used the Gourmet grate system).

Definitely get some charcoal baskets if the Kettle didn't come with them, and a good set of tongs.  I also really like my Kingsford charcoal caddy (I own three).  You put your  charcoal in and it keeps it dry and it's easy to pour.  they're like $11 bucks at Lowes.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:48:22 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:15 AM »
Just start cooking. You don't need anything but the kettle.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 03:11:32 AM »
where do you get the heavy duty grates?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 04:22:07 AM »
where do you get the heavy duty grates?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app