Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Nightmare turns to happy ending  (Read 5716 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Nightmare turns to happy ending
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:32:28 AM »
Okay you sickos (you know who you are), that's not what I mean by happy ending. [emoji6]

So a few months back, just before the 4th of July, I ordered a white MasterTouch from Canada. Unfortunately I didn't get it until after the 4th, so I couldn't do my red, white and blue pic.

Fast forward a couple of months and I decide to order a couple of Zav handles for it. When they arrived a few weeks ago, I went to install them and this is what I see when I uncover the grill.  Mind you,  I haven't even used it yet.

Oh the horror!

I've put on the taco handles before, so I am well aware you need to be careful not to over-tighten them.  So I was pissed.  I called up Weber and explained to them.  It took a while to get them to understand that this was a white and that I needed a white replacement. I sent them some pics and they put in an order for a replacement lid. A few days later, no confirmation so I called.  To make a long story short,  it was multiple calls and two weeks before it finally shipped.  So here's the happy ending part.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:35:09 AM by mcgolden »

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
Re: Nightmare turns to happy ending
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
Wow that's a beauty for sure.

tspin818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:38 AM »
So how about the red, white and blue pic?
Holy grail Red Smokey Joe

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:24 AM »

Hoping to get to it this weekend.  Wanted to do it for labor day, but the lid just showed up today.  Only had enough time during my lunch break to get the new handles on and snap the few pics I posted.

tspin818

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »

Hoping to get to it this weekend.  Wanted to do it for labor day, but the lid just showed up today.  Only had enough time during my lunch break to get the new handles on and snap the few pics I posted.
Cool, looking forward to it!

Sent from my XT1254 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Holy grail Red Smokey Joe

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »
Are those Zav handles the bird's eye maple?
Those look great.
Oh ya... that kettle is pretty sick too. ;)
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »
Are those Zav handles the bird's eye maple?
Those look great.
Oh ya... that kettle is pretty sick too. ;)

Yup, bird's eye maple.  I saw some that he had done for some others and I thought it would be a good fit for this light colored kettle.  As always, he did a great job.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 10:19:52 AM »
The same happened to my new ivory aswell,except where the hanger for the lid holder went through the bowl. Called weber Tuesday after the holiday and and received a new bowl and lid Friday, and still have the organ al lid and bowl.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »
Glad everything turned out for you, your kettle looks amazing! !!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
The same happened to my new ivory aswell,except where the hanger for the lid holder went through the bowl. Called weber Tuesday after the holiday and and received a new bowl and lid Friday, and still have the organ al lid and bowl.

Wow, I wish they had sent me a new bowl too.  I just hope that the new lid and existing bowl hold up over time.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
Well I'm using the origanal, and have the new lid and bowl in the garage boxed up.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 10:30:50 AM »
Glad they got it all worked out. Man, I bet you felt a little sick when you pulled that cover off. All good now. Looks clean brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »
Those handles are very nice!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 11:24:34 AM »

Wow, I wish they had sent me a new bowl too.  I just hope that the new lid and existing bowl hold up over time.

I've seen this posted frequently here regarding the taco handle installation. Kind of concerning that just a little to much torque and the porcelain cracks. I wonder what these beauties will look like in 10 years. Is it just a case of standard corporate cost cutting? A thinner layer of enamel?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
I just hope that the new lid and existing bowl hold up over time.

You can do that....just don't put any money on the hope.

I suspect is not just over-tightening that is causing the chips but normal use. Simply picking the lid up  and putting it in the bail holder is causing stress, slight movement and chips where junction points are located.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"