Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Monday night pizza.  (Read 2345 times)

smokster

• WKC Brave
Monday night pizza.
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:03:13 PM »
Made 2 pizzas tonight after work.

heating up a 22:

time to launch (front of the stone at 350):

Nice back flame:

dinner:

and repeat:

Maybe, I just need a few more coals under the stone as the bottom was just lightly toasted (no pic).

This has potential:

Cheers

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Monday night pizza.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »
Looks great man, and that plum kettle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »
Looks good to me.  I do like the slanted design of the PQ.  It makes your picture of the pizza cooking on the stone look really weird, but the other pics look cool and I would think the lower back helps direct some high heat to the top of your pie.

As far as your bottom crust goes...

Fix 1:  A little less wood in the back so the top cooks a little slower giving the bottom more time.
Fix 2:  some coals under the stone so the bottom keeps up with that flaming hot upper temp!
Fix 3:  Pre-heat your stone longer and rotate it a few times while you are heating it up.

Fix 4:  Unrelated to your crust issue....Fix your ash pan!!!!!  LOL

I see you have an IR thermo....what temp was your stone averaging before you put the pie on?  I like mine somewhere between 500-600, and it will definitely have areas hotter than others, so if I see spot or two over 600 I don't worry about that as long as most of it is in the 500-600 range.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:51:27 PM »
Travis - Thanks!

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
Mike - Thanks for the tips.  Yes the stone temp was only 350 at the side opposite the fire (so next time I will rotate it and try your other tips as well).

The ash pan is not really as bad as the photo makes it look (in fact cooking on a wooden deck - the ash pan better be close to level).
Here are 2 more pics I just took, that show how the angle of the photo makes the pan look skewed:
Closeup:

Different angle (looks better):

Cheers,

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:57:20 AM »

Love this pic.  Set up looks grate!!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
@smokster -  I see now that it is level.  Just another illusion in your close ups that threw me off.  I'm glad to hear your stone was only at 350.  This should be an easy fix and your next pizza might just be the best one you've ever had in your life!!!!!  What's up with that wooden barrel?  Would be pretty cool to MOD a barrel to hold a grill for MOD month!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 06:50:43 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed -
I have 3 wine barrels in a line on my deck (still looking for an 8' stone/bar top).

Yes, a home made version of the "Weber Barrel Bar-B-Q" would be real cool.
However it may take some time, as I have other projects with higher priorities.

Cheers