Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Monday Night Pizza  (Read 2238 times)

SixZeroFour

Monday Night Pizza
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »
I'm a big time Pizza rookie so I'm hoping to pick up some tips from all the resident Pizza Pro's 8)

My biggest issue so far is not getting the Pizza to stick to the peel... even with lots of flour I ran into a bit of trouble at the start but was able to sort things out. This was the maiden voyage for the GBS pizza stone and I was very pleased with the results. Next time I need to amp up the temp and try to brown the top a bit more, but all things considered it tasted great!

Have a good one!

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Monday Night Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:58:20 AM »
How can you go wrong with those ingredients!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 02:44:03 AM »
I mix a little cornmeal with my flour to help it slide on and off the peel.

●|||||||●

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 03:12:44 AM »
Second that about the corn meal.  I don't have a peal, but when I cook on a pizza stone in the oven, I generously spread corn meal over the stone before I stretch and place the dough on it.  Works so good in fact that when I pulled the stone out of the oven one time the pizza slid right off and onto the floor. 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:12:58 PM »
skip the cornmeal and head straight to the semolina flour. It doesn't burn like cornmeal, or at least when it burns it doesn't taste like shit the way cornmeal does.

it helps to build the pizza on a wooden peel (with a light dusting of semolina flour)
don't let it sit on the peel very long though, otherwise it will stick

use the metal peel to remove the pie

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
Looking good!  Nice simple set up and effective.  Looks so good I'm gona cook tonight.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 04:46:04 PM »
Give your peel a quick back on forth while its still sitting on the counter before you head out to the grill.  If it doesn't slide when its flat from a quick jerk, it's going to dump all over the place when you have it at a slight angle putting it on the grill.  I have a friend that will lift one edge of the crust and give it a good blow under between the peel and the dough if it looks like its stuck.   It actually works fairly well.  I'm not sure if others have noticed this technique when he's done it.  It doesn't bother me, but I'm sure some people won't be fond of the idea of possible spittle.

I've also never used a metal peel for putting pizza on the grill.  I'm guessing the temperature of it or some other property of a metal peel make pizza more likely to stick thus the common use of wooden peels.

I think 3-4 binder clips around the bottom kettle might give you more airflow when you put the lid on to give you higher heat and possibly some flame that you need to get the top of the pizza cooked nice.  I'd warm up your stone with the lid off for 10-15 minutes then another 10 or so with the lid on to make sure its hot enough.  Until I realized you are using your Summit!!!!!  How hot did you have it running?  I'd shoot for 600 degrees, and put the stone on as soon as you get your coals situated so it warms as the rest of the grill is getting up towards the smelting portion of your thermo!

I'm wondering what kind of results you will have with bottom vent wide open and the top one wide flipping open?  Do you think you would have enough flow to get some flames if you added hardwood?  If not, use wood sparingly....a little smoke from smoldering wood chunks goes a long way with pizza crust.  Flaming wood is an entirely different story, the more the better.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 06:10:27 AM »
Nice first pie on the summit. And yes, amp up the heat a lot on the next cook. Also, if you want to build your pie on the counter rather than the peel, make sure you have more flour or semolina, or a combo of flour/semolina on the counter so you can slide it on to your peel. Then your pizza will slide nicely on the peel for launching.