Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The PK Grill  (Read 4703 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
The PK Grill
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »
Do any of our Southern members have any personal firsthand experience with one of these?

I like their story and being a rugged reliable basics kind of guy the look of that thick cast body is most intriguing (If decidedly on the ummm...let's say less than attractive side).

What I'd like to know from anyone who has actually seen and used one IRL - Is the quality really that spectacular so as to justify a price point roughly equivalent to 2 MTs and a couple of cases of beer?  It seems to me if they were really that spectacular I would have seen them around the competition circuit over the years or at least heard about them.

On the other hand, it could just be a matter of a great product but limited marketing.  I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison and cookoff with a kettle.

"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: The PK Grill
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 11:05:09 AM »
They're just ugly IMO. I looked at getting one, but I can cook anything on a basic weber, that I can cook on that.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
They're just ugly IMO.

Not one to mince words - I like your style!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:00:02 PM »
I have one sitting in the garage halfway restored. The aluminum shell is pretty cool. The two things I don't believe I will like is - the grate isn't recessed, so hotdogs or whatever can roll off pretty easily I would think, and it obviously won't be as convenient as a one touch for disposing of ash.

Mines really old though so maybe the grate is recessed now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:13:02 PM by AZ Monsoon »

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 12:13:16 PM »
By not recessed do you mean the grate comes right plumb with the edge of the bowl?  Am I imagining that right?  In my mind that does indeed seem weird...

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »
Correct. This should help

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »
I' m not from the South, but I own a PK grill.  As I posted on an earlier thread, I like my PK grill.  It holds heat very well (cast aluminum) and is easy to lock in temperatures. Also, it breaks down easily for transport and cleaning.  It is a no- frills grill.  The only drawback is the size, although vertical racks can be added to increase capacity. 

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 01:14:42 PM »
I just noticed your locations in Canada, so I guess I am from the "South".  Although, Windsor is actually south of Detroit.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 01:39:48 PM »
They're just ugly IMO.

Not one to mince words - I like your style!
It is what it is. I don't disagree that it's a good cooker, but ......It just looks like crap, IMO, A Weber kettle just looks cool.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »
  It seems to me if they were really that spectacular I would have seen them around the competition circuit over the years or at least heard about them.

Have you heard about SCA Steak Cooking??? The PK Grill in the hottest cooker going and does win many contests.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 02:02:42 AM »
I dig the looks but they lost me on having to scoop out the ashes

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 04:45:07 AM »
  It seems to me if they were really that spectacular I would have seen them around the competition circuit over the years or at least heard about them.

Have you heard about SCA Steak Cooking??? The PK Grill in the hottest cooker going and does win many contests.

I actually just heard about the SCA when I learned about the PK grill.  Realtively new circuit and I'm an old-school KCBS guy, so it wasn't around when I was competing.  I can see where the PK would be an optimum tool if all you're doing is high heat direct grilling, but IMO (admittedly from appearances only) no way it beats the Weber design for slow cooking.

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 05:05:05 AM »
I watched CL for over a year before one came up a couple of weeks ago for a reasonable price.  I wanted one for the history they have in the midwest.  Haven't cooked on it yet.  I also like the fact  that you can break it down in seconds.  I've seen several people use baskets to hold the charcoal in making it a bit easier to empty the ashes. I'll see how that works out.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 08:45:43 AM »
I have done one slow cook on my PK grill and it worked very well.  The cast aluminum holds heat well and the lid seals nicely.  Also, the grate is hinged to add more charcoal. 

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »
Iconic cooker.
In my mind's eye I see one....

Hot summer day
Island on a large, American river somewhere
Boat-in access only (of course)
Tents
Awnings
Happy folks cooking on a PK Grill