Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need replacement legs and hardware for a Jumbo Joe  (Read 2718 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Need replacement legs and hardware for a Jumbo Joe
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:18:24 AM »
So I brought home a $20 Jumbo Joe last night to accompany my 22.5 Kettle and 18.5 WSM.  From the few pictures in the post, it looked like it was in great shape, but upon further inspection, I'd like to replace the legs and corresponding hardware.  I sent Weber support an email because I wasn't able to find replacement parts online.  While I wait for a response, I thought I'd ask here what I should expect to hear from them.  Any idea on approximately how much I should pay? 

Thanks in advance. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Need replacement legs and hardware for a Jumbo Joe
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:23:18 AM »
Congrats, @Mr.CPHo

I was able to buy all of the hardware for my EZ  code JJ directly from Weber.  The prices were pretty reasonable too.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, could you post a photo or confirm the date code?  Weber has in recent years brought back the 'Jumbo Joe', though it's a much different grill than the old-school version. 
One of the charcoal people.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:31:44 AM »
Wow, thanks for the quick reply @mike.stavlund.  Took a picture of the code on the top damper; CS0314558.  Not sure what the AH stands for on the lower half. 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:33:01 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:40:46 AM »
Ok, thanks!  That's a 2014 model, which they should definitely carry parts for.  I don't know how much they might cost, though. 

If you have time, I would just call the Weber CS 800 number-- 800.466.1071

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »
Thanks!

This is what I'm up against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:50:18 AM »
I put stainless steel screws, bolts, wing nuts, and washers in my jumbo to try and avoid what happened to yours.  Good Luck
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »
@apt323, thanks for the tip regarding stainless steel screws, bolts and wing nuts.  Maybe I can salvage the legs and replace just those parts!  Saves me some money I can put towards cast iron grates for the JJ.  ANOTHER trip back to Lowe's.   

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »
@apt323, thanks for the tip regarding stainless steel screws, bolts and wing nuts.  Maybe I can salvage the legs and replace just those parts!  Saves me some money I can put towards cast iron grates for the JJ.  ANOTHER trip back to Lowe's.

That's the way to go, those legs are definitely salvageable.  Here's a great example of an SJ leg cleanup:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/how-i-cleaned-up-some-smokey-joe-legs/
@saxart How had your SJ leg restoration held up over time?

If you want to avoid the muriatic acid you can use Evapo-Rust to clean up the legs.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »

Your welcome, I have started putting stainless on anything that I am either assembling, or tearing apart for rebuild.   Hope this helps you out and saves some cash for more Kettles!
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »

That's the way to go, those legs are definitely salvageable.  Here's a great example of an SJ leg cleanup:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/how-i-cleaned-up-some-smokey-joe-legs/
@saxart How had your SJ leg restoration held up over time?

Neil-
The legs are holding up fine, but admittedly, the grill hasn't been used, and sits on a shelf in my garage.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 05:26:40 PM »
Word to the wise:  if you're ordering replacement grates for a JJ, be *very* sure of the dimensions.  Not all Jumbo Joe grates are the standard 18.5 size, so the aftermarket CI grates you buy may or may not fit your particular JJ.  Measure carefully to be sure.