Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Original Kettle vs Premium Kettle  (Read 13657 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Original Kettle vs Premium Kettle
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
Finding something special on CL takes patience. Unless you're in Chicago or Seattle. Having the ash bucket is very nice. I would never buy new. Reason 1, the taco handle. Reason 2, is price. With some patients, something will pop up on CL. Been a little over a year and I've been though a handful of black kettles, have a blue OTP, copper OTS that I converted to gold and finally found a red OTS a couple weeks ago.
Still need a 22” yellow

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »
Finding something special on CL takes patience. Unless you're in Chicago or Seattle.

We don't tend to get a lot of "special" in Seattle.  At least not a lot of rare or vintage.  There are nice grills from time to time.

Anything special get's picked up by @SixZeroFour

I'm ok with this.  He's a good custodian of these.  ;)

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 05:05:13 AM »
I like the convenience of the ash bucket, but prefer the the look of the ash pan. I think the OTS look is classic and screams Americana.

On a performer ash bucket, no problem, but on a stand alone kettle, ash pan.

Like was said earlier, if you're grilling on a wood deck get the bucket, much safer.

I'd also go the CL route, there's bound to be at least a couple fairly new kettles near you.

All that being said, you got get what you want to make you happy

Good luck and post up some pics when you get it!

eyevandy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »
I have a new Performer. As soon as I had the ash catcher I instantly hated the frisbee on my old OTS. The catcher has to be Weber's best innovation on the Kettle outside of the ash sweeper itself. Where I live there's a constant breeze and my deck is always a mess. Plus I don't have trash out there so it's just much easier to carry the deep pan where it needs to go. I would never ever buy one without a bucket unless it was old enough that they didn't have the buckets yet.

I know you are not considering new Performers, but I do have to say ... if I had an old performer I would probably really be wanting the tilt-out charcoal bin (I did not think I'd care about this bin at all but I love it) rather than the door in the table. And it seems like the plastic table has been problematic for people. The new performer really is a nice grill ... for me if I had an older one I'd be coveting the features on the 2015.

The thermometer on the lid is basically only useful for knowing when it's safe to put the cover back on. The 3-prong tool holder add on works awesome so I wouldn't worry about the ones on the handle.

If it were me as long as I had the bucket on a regular kettle I don't think I'd miss any other features. Get the color you like best and just don't bank the coals directly against the wall, that's what the baskets are for.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »
Looking at getting a Crimson Premium from BBQ Guys.  Will be starting off any smoking I do banking the coals to one side or doing the snake method.

Knowing this, should I just stick to the black to bypass any issues with the colors?
Mama nature made color just for Us. Chose the current color of your choice.  If U got the money, then get the perf deluxe (it comes with char baskets as I recall), they can be used 'like' the SnS. A new kettle gives U ten years to craze a bowl, so forget-a-bout-it.  EVERY kettle head should buy one NEW kettle in their lifetime (or maybe 2, 3, ...).
SJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

SoupDogg77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
I was faced with the same situation in December, found a used premium plus chimney for $125 on CL. I did pick up a slow and sear, also VERY worth the investment. I really like the ash catcher, I can't imagine not having one now.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 06:36:30 AM »

Knowing this, should I just stick to the black to bypass any issues with the colors?

I don't know that a standard 2-3 banked row for smoking will hurt necessarily. Kettles get heat damage from tossing in a pile of coals, and it will cause porcelain to disappear on any color.

The colored mid range models (Premiums) are tempting for sure. As is the MasterTouch for the extra goodies!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 07:11:56 AM »
Looking at getting a Crimson Premium from BBQ Guys.  Will be starting off any smoking I do banking the coals to one side or doing the snake method.

I use the Weber baskets....keeps a little separation from the side.
Still too chicken to put coals up against the side.....many, many do it though.

Get the upgraded ash control system.
I bought a Silver and a Gold off CL for $20 each and made a nice Gold from the best parts.
Sold my regurgitated (nice though) Silver on CL for $40.

There were three SSP's  on CL in my area yesterday.
They come in waves.

Good luck with your purchase.
Have never seen any "deals" at BBQ Guys.
Could happen. I suppose.

Also if you're buying new, you may be able to support WKC by going through one of these links...
http://weberkettleclub.com/support-wkc/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:23:52 AM by DirectDrive »

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »
Ace or True value has that color with free shipping to store for pickup.
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 07:14:31 AM »
I'd get a color with an ash bucket. On the occasions I've cooked with a OTS frisbee style ash catcher, I usually end up with ashes all over the place (and if they stay in place during the cook, they tend to fall out when I try to pull them out to empty them.  Regarding the color, pretty much everywhere has a million black grills available.  Colors are always neat and rarer.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 07:32:46 AM »
Ash bucket on your primary for sure imo.

bigc74

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 07:49:57 PM »
i just purchased a new performer 22.5 and love everything it comes  with! very convenient!!