Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26er questions  (Read 4036 times)

kaz

• WKC Brave
26er questions
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »
Ok so I never really paid attention to the 26's because they just don't show up on my craigslist. But lightening hit today.

I picked up a 26.75" flat top OT date stamped EE '99 - it has the spun lid and bowl.

First thought.... Fuck YES! $85 on CL

Second thought, damn the lid is heavy!

The grates are decent, the top grate is a lil surface rusty but workable. But I am used to the flip grates.. What's the deal, the low low.. What do I need to know about my grates?

The charcoal grate has some kinda support system and is really good shape.

I might ash catcher it in the future but for now I'll disc it.

I'm pumped. So happy!

Pics.

What should I take care of because it's NLA or expensive?

#grubdubs

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 26er questions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »
Hell, I wouldn't worry about none of it. Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
very nice score. you can always pick up a flip side grate if needed.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 03:52:40 PM »
The hinged grate for a 26er runs about $100.  If that's a little steep for now just pick up a set of Ove Gloves (the longer sleeved ones) so you can just pick up the entire grate when its hot if you need to add coals.  You'll use the Ove Gloves a ton even after getting a hinged grates, so it won't be a waster of $15-$20!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:44:03 PM »
my neck hurtz from looking sideways
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 06:46:58 PM »
I was under the impression that flat top 26ers have different grate strap locations, making both the charcoal and the cooking grates different diameters than the current 26. And they aren't available new anymore. Pretty much the only kettle not supported by Weber in that very basic respect. There are some threads here about that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »
The new flip grates don't fit the old flat tops.  You can kind of stick it in the grill but it's not right...you might just have to live with what it came with.  They have worked for thirty years, I'm sure you'll figure out how to make due....

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 07:18:18 PM »
I just use my weber or welding gloves on my flat tops. I'm preserving the originals in the garage and mainly cook with the Grillmark replacement grates that were on smoking clearance two years ago. They fit the old 26ers like a glove.

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 07:29:36 PM »
Not sure what the sideways comment means?!

Thank you that's what I need to know! Basically take care of the grill and the grates! I'm actually pretty luck the whole thing and both grates are in pretty good shape. Got the food grate seasoned up pretty good and will only get better.

And thank you Craig for naming a replacement!

Are the lid damper handles / tabs available aftermarket? I wouldn't mind a black one or even a zavod wood one.

Just still so in awe and happy with it. Is there a better spot for photos? Photobucket won't work for me anymore.

#grubdubs

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »

#grubdubs

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 04:34:10 AM »
On my old 26'r the grate level was too low, so I made an expanded metal riser that sat on the tabs and raised the grate where it should be.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 07:45:33 AM »
I have an expanded ring for mine too. Sometimes I use it, sometimes not. Depends on what I'm making. Even raised it will still hold a huge turkey.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 06:09:23 AM »
awesome!  nice find.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 11:57:54 AM »
@kaz , Find yourself a donor 22 black kettle. Cut the top off about 5-1/4" down. I believe the cut is even with the lower charcoal grate tab.Set that on your charcoal grate and all aftermarket and 26" flip grate will work. It will also protects your outer bowl from blowouts, as well a lifter the cooking grate a little. Bank away!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:06:14 PM by glrasmussen »

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »
@glrasmussen that's a great tip! Thanks!
#grubdubs