Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me red performer  (Read 1430 times)

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
New to me red performer
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:49 AM »
Hi All,

Picked my first performer up yesterday (the family has now grown to two).  Very happy with the find for $125 but there are a couple of things that need attention. Here she is as picked up and in my yard:

Issues:
1) upon close inspection this morning I see that it looks like the lid handle took a hit at some point.  Cleaned off the weld spot on the under side of the lid and a couple of chips fell away.  What would you guys do to fix this if anything:

2) one of the rollers is melted to the bowl.  Considering making some wood rollers.  I hate the idea of putting new rollers on there only to have them melt again at some point and aluminum or copper seem like it might be bad for the lid rim.

Everything else is great.  Exterior of the kettle seems spotless.  The grill was kept under a cover (included with the purchase).

So, one more question:
1) does anyone do anything to the plastic table to protect/seal it?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: New to me red performer
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:10:46 AM »
That is a beautiful Performer that you have there, congratulations!
The chipped porcelain inside of the lid shouldn't be a big deal. Grease laden vapors from regular use will cover that up with a protective layer of "gunk".
I have removed melted rollers from my Performer and carefully re-shaped the melted ends with a file. The repair is barely noticeable and they work fine. @zavod44 sells awesome wooden rollers (and handles!) that will dress your Performer up nicely.
The Thermoset table is low maintenance, just clean it with a household cleaner. I use Simple Green. Magic Eraser works well on any tough stains.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:57:37 AM »
It's also worth noting that while melted lid bale rollers aren't unheard of, they aren't the norm either. I don't consider them fragile at all. But if you zap them with really high heat, then yep they'll be gone.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:03:52 AM »
Lovely - Use it in good health  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 02:15:44 PM »
She's a beauty! I picked up one just like it last week.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 02:47:22 PM »
Nice score!  I just cut off the ends of my melted rollers so they are not as long but still do their job and have not had any issues since.  I do have a couple of sets of replacements if I decide to change them out later.

I just replaced my plastic table with one of the new metal ones and I like it much better. 

Wayne

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »
70monte, how much did your table cost in total?