Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP Frame Connectors  (Read 2133 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
SSP Frame Connectors
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »
I'm putting together a SSP with as many new parts as I can find.

I've have new frame parts, with the exception of the frame connectors, which are no longer available.

There are new frame connectors available for other grills, like these:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/frame-connector-p-1476667.html

I don't know the Weber gas grills at all.  Would there be any that would have the same size frame connector?

If not, how about a longer one that could be cut down to fit?

Thanks, Chapin

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: SSP Frame Connectors
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:14:31 AM »
It sounds like you aren't opposed to making them- have you considered just buying steel tube, cutting them dowm, then using tube nut inserts like so?: http://furniturelevelor.com/product/318-double-star-heavy-duty-square/
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
I wouldn't be opposed to making them.  It would be nice if i could start with some Weber tubes, to have a good match on the finish.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »
Chapin, Do those pieces include the star nuts?

Yes the Weber gas grills from the 90s use the same size square frame tubing.

Of course, that does beg the question of why wouldn't the SSP frame connectors be listed as available if they were the same part. But I think what we typically consider "frame connectors" are just the star nuts and not small pieces of tubing with the threaded connectors already installed.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:49:48 PM »
Well, I presume they include the star nuts.  If not, those are available elsewhere, see Gummi Bear's link.

I would think if the exact length Frame Connectors were available, the SSP connectors would still be available, or at the minimum someone would've figured out that the Frame Connector from X grill from X era would be a suitable replacement.

I think my question is about the length of the available Frame Connectors.  I think for one to work for an SSP, it would need to be same or longer length.  I suspect that most are shorter. 

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
It sounds like you aren't opposed to making them- have you considered just buying steel tube, cutting them dowm, then using tube nut inserts like so?: http://furniturelevelor.com/product/318-double-star-heavy-duty-square/

Did this, and they turned out grate!

Finished Product:

Star nuts and homemade star nut setting tool:

Powder coating is a pretty close match to the top frame:

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
The powder coating looks great.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 05:02:49 PM »
The powder coating looks great.

Thanks.  I was really pleased with how it came out.  It is pretty much a direct match to the top frame.

Interesting, the end frames do not match the top frame.  I suppose they likely were coated different batches.  The end frames are glossier, with more orange peel.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 04:03:08 AM »
Fantastic job.  I'd never be able to tell the difference, that's for sure.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM