Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Score! Picked up a brand new 14.5 WSM today!  (Read 6538 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Score! Picked up a brand new 14.5 WSM today!
« on: April 08, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »
Went to Walmart today.  The last time I was there back in February, they had the grillmates 26.5 grill grates out for sale, and I wanted to pick one up for my old 26er.  Sadly, they were out of those and no longer carry them, just like Amazon.

BUT...

On my way out of the store, I noticed a lonely 14.5 WSM with no box on display.  It had a very faded tag on it.  I read it and it said reduced to $49.98.  Got a toothless manager who confirmed the price. 

Bought it immediately.

The downside is that the lid is bent and won't make a seal and it's missing the little rubber grommit to insert a probe thermometer, but otherwise perfect.  I figure a call to Weber will fix both problems!

I'm looking forward to using it.  For most of my smokes it will be fantastic.

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

eh.schroder

• Smokey Joe
Re: Score! Picked up a brand new 14.5 WSM today!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »
I have the same size and it works well as long as you don't Cook for too many people. 4 chickens on a beer can fits, a 2,5 kg Boston butt fitted once I put a string of butchers rope around it.
Used it as well for soms cold smoker salmon-sides. Sadly Weber doesn't make a smokerrack that fits, so I made one myself.

With some creativity you can make just about anything only in smaller amounts, another bonus is that it uses less fuel. Enjoy your WSM!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SHIELD Tablet met Tapatalk

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »
I had a 18.5 but I hated how much charcoal it used.  This will be great for my purposes

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
Congrats!

Hope you didn't get too much hell for it at home. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:55:59 PM »
Nope!  The lovely wife is out of town :)  But, I'm sure she won't mind.  She says she missed my old WSM which I sold for a tidy profit.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »
👍

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 06:35:19 PM »
I love it when they miss mark things, congrats!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 07:31:33 AM »
Awesome score, $50 for a 14wsm is a no brainier!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 09:46:59 PM »
Very nice. I'm sure you're right about Weber covering the damaged/missing parts. When I sent them some pics of a dent I had in the bowl of my new 14 WSM, they sent me a new bowl no questions asked. I think I'm going to do my first smoke on it tomorrow with a couple 3-4 lb corned beefs to make some pastrami.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »
Nice! I got my 14 from Walmart too, at the end of summer when they just wanted them gone... But only got them down to $120... All the others are still there and have been marked back up to $200[emoji14]
I put a 9.5lb Turkey up on the top rack... JUST fit... For it's size 19lbs of Turkey ain't bad if you get both racks going.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
Update:  Called Weber customer service.  They would not send me a new lid free of charge since it was a floor model.  Wanted to charge me $26 for a new one...however, they would send me the grommit for the probe thermometer at no charge.  Being cheap I said I'd call them back.  So...I used @pbe gummi bear old trick of hugging my kettle.  WORKED LIKE A CHARM.  Lid in round, no gap, no problem.  Waiting for the grommit, but we should be good to go in no time :)  Hug your kettles people.  I've used it on my Cado, 26er, and now the WSM. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 02:33:43 PM »
Nice job!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
That's a crazy deal, and a smart repair.  Congrats!
One of the charcoal people.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »
Can't say enough GOOD things about the Weber CS.   At times an operator will be a little off, but in general, there all great and have a greater Corp culture.                           SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 05:29:10 AM »
Good deal and good fix. I don't really understand why a floor model wouldn't be warrantied; you're still the first owner. Or maybe they provide a warranty but balk at fixing retailer abuse in such a case. But I've seen similar things happen to say, Macintosh floor models sold at non-Apple stores. Apple starts the warranty on those when they're unboxed and setup, not when eventually sold.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch