Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza Steels vs. Stone  (Read 6022 times)

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pizza Steels vs. Stone
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
I have crafted several steels made of mild steel.  Thickness 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch. On a couple of the thicker ones I have put a groove around the edge so it could be used as a griddle. I have very good success in a convection oven, using the double steel method. I'm still working on perfecting my method on the grill.  The biggest issue has been getting  a nice char om the top of the crust. I have used 2 steels on the grill with the temperature one the top steel in the 400 and 700  range on the bottom steel. I'm going to try keeping the lower steel temperature around 500 using the Kettlepizza attachment I just picked up and see how that works. I do like the steel over stone in the oven. Still working on the grill method.

I grilled a chicken spatchcock style on the griddle side, turned out very good, with a nice crispy skin.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:17:12 PM by Maxmbob »
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »
I'm currently using a 1/4" piece of steel, that I bought after my stone broke. It works really well. I do not put coals directly underneath it. I need to keep my steel oiled when not in use, otherwise it gets rusty  :(  I would love to have the KP grate at some point.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »

I'm currently using a 1/4" piece of steel, that I bought after my stone broke. It works really well. I do not put coals directly underneath it. I need to keep my steel oiled when not in use, otherwise it gets rusty  :(  I would love to have the KP grate at some point.

Would this be the best of both worlds then? CI is able to stay hot for a while and emits the high heat really well. Can't see one of these cracking or rusting if it's seasoned.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 12:38:48 AM »
I had the opportunity to cook on @Jason 's steel and the kettle pizza tombstone side by side.

We had both kettles ripping hot and used the same dough for all of our pizzas.
I don't think anyone could tell the difference in crusts... but then again we weren't really trying for that level of scientific testing.

When it comes to maintenance and ease of use, I would say the prograte and tombstone spanks all other options.