Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking in the rain  (Read 2338 times)

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
Cooking in the rain
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:28:52 PM »
Hi All,

All day steady rain here in Ohio.  Took my first stab at ribs today on the kettle.  Slow n Sear setup with apple wood and Meathead's Memphis Rub. Here is the setup:

Here is start:

Here is the dog after too much fun in the rain:

Here is the finished product:

Family loved 'em.  I thought they were just ok (happy with it for the first time ever cooking ribs).  These were pork back ribs from Kroger.

Now I know nothing about picking ribs.  These ribs were packed in a "solution".  Are ribs without "a solution of up to 8%..." better to start with?  Was it maybe the quality of these ribs that have me not so happy?  Probably the cook but I have to ask  :D

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cooking in the rain
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »
Love your setup, way to trooper through the elements!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
From here it looks like you crushed it! I mean to power through the rain and everything, good job.
I try to avoid pork with the enhanced solutions, I don't know if it makes a difference or not...

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 06:28:55 PM »

From here it looks like you crushed it! I mean to power through the rain and everything, good job.
I try to avoid pork with the enhanced solutions, I don't know if it makes a difference or not...

I used to insist on all natural until I found out that there's enhanced, and then there's ENHANCED. I smoked some Smithfield ribs once that tasted more like ham. I've never had any issues with the Kroger ribs, though. Last time, I smoked seven slabs and I think there were only three bones left that still had any meat on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 06:31:52 PM »
Those ribs look good from here. And that dog looks like the definition of an "Outside Dog."

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:15 PM »
For your first time you did great! Looks good from here. Love your set up. A tent, chair, grill and dog. Nothing gets better than that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:39:22 PM »

Hi All,

All day steady rain here in Ohio.  Took my first stab at ribs today on the kettle.  Slow n Sear setup with apple wood and Meathead's Memphis Rub. Here is the setup:

Here is start:

Here is the dog after too much fun in the rain:

Here is the finished product:

Family loved 'em.  I thought they were just ok (happy with it for the first time ever cooking ribs).  These were pork back ribs from Kroger.

Now I know nothing about picking ribs.  These ribs were packed in a "solution".  Are ribs without "a solution of up to 8%..." better to start with?  Was it maybe the quality of these ribs that have me not so happy?  Probably the cook but I have to ask  :D

We're always our worst critic. The color of those ribs is great, and if the family loved them, there you go. Biggest tip I can give you is to not be too afraid of over cooking them at first. We don't want fall off the bone ribs, but BBQ is about making the particular cut tender. I often cook the same ribs and everyone loves them.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »
What was wrong with the ribs In your opinion ? 

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 09:31:44 AM »
Hi All.  Thanks for the encouraging replies!

Idahawk,
I thought the ribs were a bit tough and were maybe starting to dry out.  Not horrible but not perfection :-)

Cook time was just at 4 hours.  They were thick so maybe 4 wasn't enough.  Temps ranged from 215 to 250 over the entire cook (260 for a few minutes when I broke the seal on the lid adjusting the vents and didn't realize it).  I didn't open the lid until around the 3 hour mark.  I did not foil (seems like some do, some don't - I tried without).  Probably need to look up more examples of the bend test to see if I really understand what done looks like.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »

Idahawk,
I thought the ribs were a bit tough and were maybe starting to dry out.  Not horrible but not perfection :-)

Cook time was just at 4 hours.  They were thick so maybe 4 wasn't enough.  Temps ranged from 215 to 250 over the entire cook (260 for a few minutes when I broke the seal on the lid adjusting the vents and didn't realize it).  I didn't open the lid until around the 3 hour mark.  I did not foil (seems like some do, some don't - I tried without).  Probably need to look up more examples of the bend test to see if I really understand what done looks like.

There ya go. As I suspected, they simply weren't tender yet. Check for tenderness by either sticking with a toothpick, or picking up with the tongs. Not only will they drape down, the meat on top will also start to break. As I earlier posted, don't worry too much about overcoming at first. Most folks like fall off the bone ribs better than ones that aren't quite tender yet, anyhow. And by the way, that little bit of enhancement will help keep them from drying out. Sounds like you got a reason to buy some more and try again. They're still on sale through Tuesday. I just picked up seven slabs, myself. [emoji106]

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »

Idahawk,

Your temps were fine but I wonder if 4 hours was enough cook  time to completely break down all the connective tissues in those back ribs ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 07:08:16 PM »
If you cook a long time to breakdown connective tissue I think the meat can start to get dry. I was cooking brisket to an internal temp and got tougher/ dryer. Cooking longer didn't help tenderize after that cause it was already dried out I believe. I think evaporation is an issue. To go the whole way unwrapped may take some spritzing or adding something to keep from drying out. Lot of folks foil to get tender ribs. Watching Franklin Vids, he doesn't use the crutch on brisket but he spritzes and jiggles the brisket to tell when it is starting to get firm.  He say's fat breakdown to overcooking is a fairly small window on a brisket. I have trouble cooking Fagita meat, and Ive tried different cook times and marinades but haven't perfected tender yet. But I have had the HEB fagita meat with 10% papain solution added fall apart when picking up off the grill. I like your set up and your buddy! Kind of makes you feel like your camping.

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »
All, thanks for the input.  It's odd how relaxing a cook can be.  Even worrying about muddy dogs, grill temps, rib 'doneness'...  That day in the rain was just what I needed. 

My brother got me into this after our mom died and shared his talent with myself and my dad.  It has become a tradition for the three of us to get together and grill two days after Christmas.  Until last week I was the green beans and cornbread man, now we'll have two grill going.  Maybe I'll cook a chicken for lunch and my brother will keep the honor of the main event.

I now understand, sometimes you just need to kick back, watch the grill, have a beer and worry about nothing else!

Thanks again!