Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need Help. First time cooking Filets.  (Read 1621 times)

Mike B

• Happy Cooker
Need Help. First time cooking Filets.
« on: March 05, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »
So I just stopped at Costco and picked up some prime filets.  I am going to cook them tonight for dinner.  Any recommendations on how i should go about cooking them.

Any help would be appreciated.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
Re: Need Help. First time cooking Filets.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »
Mike, to be honest, the occasional porterhouse is the closest I get to grilling filet. My 2 cents though is that low fat cuts are best reverse seared. You'll end up with less overcooked between the center and the sear, it will be tastier because of enzymes in the magic temp zone longer, and flare ups at the end won't be near the issue as with ribeyes. Good luck with them and maybe someone else who grills them regularly will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »
@Mike B I hope I'm not too late. How thick are they?

I agree with kettlecook. A reverse sear is the way to go if they are 1.5" or thicker. If they are thinner just do them over direct high heat.

Here is a good break down of the reverse sear by Meathead at AmazingRibs: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cooking_temperatures_and_reverse_sear.html

Hope that helps!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
Although it's well beyond dinner for most, I like doing filet in a cast iron pan with a rosemary and garlic brown butter. Sear on stove stop and finish in oven