Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105493 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #540 on: April 07, 2016, 09:51:04 AM »
I want a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center

"I realize its triple the cost of similar products, but I just like the way it looks and feels" 

There, I said it....   :)

Winz

"I want a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center

"I realize its triple the cost of similar products, but I just like the way it looks and feels" 

There, I said it....   :) "

......in Copper.............

( there...I fixed it)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #541 on: April 07, 2016, 10:21:34 AM »
Well, after the initial knee-jerk reaction to the aesthetic changes and after re-reading all the info and watching the AR video I am slowly coming around on this Summit.  :-[

The biggest feature (which I foolishly didn't catch) is absolutely how little charcoal this thing uses...  3.25cups for 12-18hrs of smoking time is downright amazing! Thank you @BC for pointing this out to me so kindly when in fact he should have just called me a fool :P

Dear Six...

I still feel the price is pushing it a bit, but if it truly is that much of a miser on the charcoal it would help pay for itself fairly quickly if you do a ton of charcoal cooking. On a long smoke you'd save $5-10 per use in fuel alone... that adds up quick.

You know, this all could have been avoided if Weber would have just sent me one to demo :P ;)

I don't think that is 3.25 8oz cups but rather that charcoal measuring cup/bucket that was shown in one of the videos.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #542 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:10 AM »
I don't think that is 3.25 8oz cups but rather that charcoal measuring cup/bucket that was shown in one of the videos.

And if it did use that low an amount of fuel, it'd actually be a bad thing.  You need a hot fire to get thin blue smoke.  Kamados like to smolder.  Yuck.  Let's hope it is not that efficient.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #543 on: April 07, 2016, 11:33:41 AM »
^^^^^^  This is interesting to me as well.  I haven't eaten off of a Kamado, but all of the bragging I hear about how little fuel they use makes me wonder if users end up with a small, smudgy fire and not-so-tasty food.  I know my WSM is not super-efficient (lots of air leaks, heat loss, etc.) but it gives me a hot fire and clean smoke, which means tasty foods.  When I was loading up my WSM to keep it working for long periods with little addition of fuel, my food wasn't nearly as good.  These days, I mostly have all my vents entirely open, and my food tastes better than ever. 

Also, for the record:  if the kind folks at Weber want to share a promotional Summit with me, I will never say 'no'.  It would probably become my primary cooker.  But I think I might always miss having the old-fashioned offset lid vent, which allows me to direct heat/smoke over my food with greater precision.  I think the Summit would work well for direct cooks and smokes (it would kick ass for pizza!), but I wonder how it does for indirect cooks. 
One of the charcoal people.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #544 on: April 07, 2016, 11:47:47 AM »

That only appears to be about 1 full chimney worth of fuel (same scoop as euro SJ's and MT's?). In comparison my 22 WSM would probably eat a whole bag of charcoal on a cook lasting that long (14hrs)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #545 on: April 07, 2016, 12:49:40 PM »

And if it did use that low an amount of fuel, it'd actually be a bad thing.  You need a hot fire to get thin blue smoke.  Kamados like to smolder.  Yuck.  Let's hope it is not that efficient.

Sorry, I completely disagree with this, I am a kamado cooker and trust me the food tastes awesome.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #546 on: April 07, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »

true, kinda.

it's still all in the vent config. thin blue smoke can be produced by a small smoldering fire as long as there is enough fresh oxygen.
The smoldering problem (and lack of thin blue) happens when the vents are crunched down too much. This typically happens when temps get too hot and the top vent gets over-used.
The lack of oxygen (and abundance of carbon dioxide) extinguish areas of combustion. Smoldering wood is the first to suffer. As things extinguish, there is more incomplete combustion, which produces carbon monoxide and creosote.

in other words, being super efficient is fine - but fire management is still a crucial skill to have

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #547 on: April 07, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »

true, kinda.

it's still all in the vent config. thin blue smoke can be produced by a small smoldering fire as long as there is enough fresh oxygen.
The smoldering problem (and lack of thin blue) happens when the vents are crunched down too much. This typically happens when temps get too hot and the top vent gets over-used.
The lack of oxygen (and abundance of carbon dioxide) extinguish areas of combustion. Smoldering wood is the first to suffer. As things extinguish, there is more incomplete combustion, which produces carbon monoxide and creosote.

in other words, being super efficient is fine - but fire management is still a crucial skill to have

Truth, you need to know how to handle your fire........
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #548 on: April 07, 2016, 01:23:57 PM »
The peg leg on the left side of the cart looks funny
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #549 on: April 07, 2016, 01:46:10 PM »
no one ever says, "i realize its triple the cost of similar products, but I just like the way it looks and feels"
maybe not about grills.

but gibson wouldn't be around if guitar players didn't feel that way. 

that's exactly what they say, which is complete horse feces.

It doesn't make sense to say people state a preference for Gibson and then declare that the reason they provide isn't real.

It's not real for YOU, which is of course quite different.
or maybe i know how to spot horse feces when i see it.  35-40 years of experience with something tends to do that to someone, if they occasionally pay attention.   

@addicted-to-smoke
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #550 on: April 07, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »
I just sold ONE of my many Jeeps.  I could buy either one if I wanted.  What I would run out get today is the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill without the Gas Assist.  I LOVE the throwback stand for it that hint back to the original design of the round circle that the bouy sits in.  This is my favorite design.  I don't care for the look of the Gas Assist hanging on the side of it.  I also find that when I am using my Performer, the table NEVER has enough room.  So I use my old MT and a larger side table as my main grill.

With all of that said, I wonder what it would look like without the gas assist on it.  That is the one that I would snap up in a MIN.  I may still.  I just want to see it in person first.  Ohh yea... and IN YELLOW.

-Jeep

Edit... I am not sure if I am the demographic that Weber is targeting... I bought most of my Weber Grills new and will most likely own one of these before to long.  I am by no means wealthy... But you cant take it with you.... If you enjoy grilling .... Grill on what makes you happy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:54:59 PM by Jeep »
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #551 on: April 07, 2016, 03:43:24 PM »

true, kinda.

I'm with ABCbarbecue on this one. My Akorn basically never made clean smoke for me below 300f. I used it but 25 times or so and it got put aside and I went back to my Kettles. Perhaps it needed me not to give up on it but I never figured out how to maintain clean smoke at low temps with the thing. So I kind of wonder about a Kettle that uses so little fuel during smoking....Would there be enough air flow to keep clean smoke? I know I can do it with a normal Kettle. Would I want to drop a whack of cash on a whippy new one to find out my normal ones are somehow better?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #552 on: April 07, 2016, 03:45:45 PM »

true, kinda.

I'm with ABCbarbecue on this one. My Akorn basically never made clean smoke for me below 300f. I used it but 25 times or so and it got put aside and I went back to my Kettles. Perhaps it needed me not to give up on it but I never figured out how to maintain clean smoke and low temps with the thing. So I kind of wonder about a Kettle that uses so little fuel during smoking....Would there be enough air flow to keep clean smoke? I know I can do it with a normal Kettle. Would I want to drop a whack of cash on a whippy new one to find out my normal ones are somehow better?
The akorn sucks.
Needs modifications and/or patience and practice.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #553 on: April 07, 2016, 04:48:47 PM »
I've never had any issues with my Akorn.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #554 on: April 07, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
The biggest feature (which I foolishly didn't catch) is absolutely how little charcoal this thing uses...  3.25cups for 12-18hrs of smoking time is downright amazing! Thank you @BC for pointing this out to me so kindly when in fact he should have just called me a fool :P

Why thank you.
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.
You're no parrot.