Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105535 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #390 on: April 06, 2016, 07:05:42 AM »
In looking closer at it, and looking at the amazingribs.com review, the Summit definitely has some new options that are unavailable on regular kettles.    Like someone mentioned above, I used to not see the need for the gas assist on the performer and the side table, but once I got one I can't imagine being without it. However, the price difference between a standard kettle and a performer is only $300. 

Overall, I like the innovation and new options, but, the price point is too high for me right now.  That being said, if I had the money to burn, and was looking at getting a BGE or similar kamado, I would have to seriously consider the Summit. 

I have a feeling it will be like most new things.  We tend to balk at new stuff, say it isn't necessary, say it is too expensive, and then eventually come around and realize that it fits a need and/or a market.  As a practical matter, most people don't need a Summit gas grill, but Weber is still selling them. I see the Summit charcoal being similar.  You don't need it, but it will meet a demand for the luxury charcoal grill market.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #391 on: April 06, 2016, 07:06:09 AM »
Thanks for the amazingribs video link, @demosthenes9 .  A great look at some cool features... especially the ones he didn't mention-- looks like a stainless underside to the lid, and some interesting small cutouts in the bottom vents.  I suppose those cutouts would provide tighter/closer air control for smoking. 
One of the charcoal people.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2016, 07:08:20 AM »
I thinks it's called "the grill of a lifetime" because that's how long it would take to pay it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #393 on: April 06, 2016, 07:10:46 AM »
One thing came to mind is that none of the current accessories, OEM or third party, will fit on this because the grill size is non-standard at 24 inches. Many thing made for a 22 inch kettle or a 26 inch kettle won't work.   If you're invested in rotisserie so pizza oven kits, those extenders that turn your kettle into a smoker etc, you're stuck keeping your kettle going anyways.

Personally, since I already have the kettle and the WSM, I'm well covered and I don't have the need for this.  And I can't afford it...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #394 on: April 06, 2016, 07:12:08 AM »
Thanks for the amazingribs video link, @demosthenes9 .  A great look at some cool features... especially the ones he didn't mention-- looks like a stainless underside to the lid, and some interesting small cutouts in the bottom vents.  I suppose those cutouts would provide tighter/closer air control for smoking.

The video is nice, it helps understand the nuances of this grill.  It is very nice and for the price it should be.  i will be on the look out in 5 years when that rich house wife gets mad at her husband and lists this on CL for $50.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #395 on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:48 AM »
Hmmmmmmm.  Not that impressed but then again I'm not really in the market for that type of cooker.  It one ups all of the other egg style cookers just on cleanup though.  My friend with an egg usually uses a shop vac to clean out the ashes.  The one touch system would make that job a lot easier.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2016, 07:17:31 AM »
There is a chance to win one on Weber Facebook page.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #397 on: April 06, 2016, 07:18:50 AM »
I think Weber is just trying to get into a space they haven't had a presence in.

Back when the Stephens family still owned and ran the company, they were probably just fine with staying in their lane and getting simple charcoal cookers out there for the masses to enjoy.

When you read BBQ forums, you might think Offsets/stick burners or Kamados/Ceramics were the only "real" choice among serious BBQ enthusiasts the way some of them almost sneer at the thought of using a Kettle.  I've seen more than one person claim a Kettle is not a "real" smoker because it isn't an offset and then later claim that a Kamado style is.  I've also seen a ton of "what should I buy" threads in a variety of places where guys have a perfectly capable kettle and think they need a COS from Home Depot in order to start smoking.  The majority of people responding recommend they buy a COS or a Ceramic for "real" low n slow.

So now you have Venture Capital owning and running Weber.  Those guys care about one thing: profit.  They bought Weber thinking the brand was undervalued in all likelihood, otherwise they wouldn't have made the play.  Over the last 2-3 years, we've seen a handful of changes that are subtle to most people, but obvious to anyone with experience grilling and/or with "profit taking measures."  That change to the heat deflecting, bolt-on handle?  I do not know for sure, but I am willing to bet it was done because that one change would improve the profit margin on each kettle by some degree that it made it "worth it" to some bean counter somewhere in the halls of Weber Corporate.  Nevermind that it creates a weak point on the kettle or probably reduces the useful life of the kettle, or increases calls to customer service asking for replacements. Profits now rule the day.

That same mentality has them looking around saying "where can we get higher margins?"  Look no further than the ceramics market.  Those buyers are largely affluent customers, very rarely are they buying for anything other than exclusive.  You're not buying BGEs at a big box retailer.  I doubt seriously you'll see a Charcoal Summit at a Home Depot any time soon, either.  The profit hounds at Weber are looking at this relatively untapped market for them and seeing opportunity.  Their thought process is, if someone is willing to pay $1,200+ for a BGE, surely they'll pony up $2,000 for something with the Weber name on it.

They already have us.  They know we're not going anywhere.  For that matter, most of the people in this forum aren't even their customers.  Most people here are CL warriors, so the money we spend never goes anywhere near Weber.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #398 on: April 06, 2016, 07:20:17 AM »
I think Weber is just trying to get into a space they haven't had a presence in.

Back when the Stephens family still owned and ran the company, they were probably just fine with staying in their lane and getting simple charcoal cookers out there for the masses to enjoy.

When you read BBQ forums, you might think Offsets/stick burners or Kamados/Ceramics were the only "real" choice among serious BBQ enthusiasts the way some of them almost sneer at the thought of using a Kettle.  I've seen more than one person claim a Kettle is not a "real" smoker because it isn't an offset and then later claim that a Kamado style is.  I've also seen a ton of "what should I buy" threads in a variety of places where guys have a perfectly capable kettle and think they need a COS from Home Depot in order to start smoking.  The majority of people responding recommend they buy a COS or a Ceramic for "real" low n slow.

So now you have Venture Capital owning and running Weber.  Those guys care about one thing: profit.  They bought Weber thinking the brand was undervalued in all likelihood, otherwise they wouldn't have made the play.  Over the last 2-3 years, we've seen a handful of changes that are subtle to most people, but obvious to anyone with experience grilling and/or with "profit taking measures."  That change to the heat deflecting, bolt-on handle?  I do not know for sure, but I am willing to bet it was done because that one change would improve the profit margin on each kettle by some degree that it made it "worth it" to some bean counter somewhere in the halls of Weber Corporate.  Nevermind that it creates a weak point on the kettle or probably reduces the useful life of the kettle, or increases calls to customer service asking for replacements. Profits now rule the day.

That same mentality has them looking around saying "where can we get higher margins?"  Look no further than the ceramics market.  Those buyers are largely affluent customers, very rarely are they buying for anything other than exclusive.  You're not buying BGEs at a big box retailer.  I doubt seriously you'll see a Charcoal Summit at a Home Depot any time soon, either.  The profit hounds at Weber are looking at this relatively untapped market for them and seeing opportunity.  Their thought process is, if someone is willing to pay $1,200+ for a BGE, surely they'll pony up $2,000 for something with the Weber name on it.

They already have us.  They know we're not going anywhere.  For that matter, most of the people in this forum aren't even their customers.  Most people here are CL warriors, so the money we spend never goes anywhere near Weber.

Well put. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #399 on: April 06, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
I'm underwhelmed.  This is terrible, and I hate to say it, but it seems similar in concept to the Charbroil Akorn with cart, which I can get at my HD for $329.  As far as the gas start, isn't this just the performer?  Does it have a higher propane output, which would get the coals going even quicker? 

With all that said, two things I do like and would love to see incorporated elsewhere (though I know that won't happen):

The hinged lid damper. 
The hinged diffuser plate.  I'd love to see what that would do in my 26 inch kettle. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #400 on: April 06, 2016, 07:29:28 AM »
Anyone else notice they left the leg holders on the bottom of the bowl near the ash catcher despite the fact that they are not used on either model?

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #401 on: April 06, 2016, 07:37:35 AM »
How much is a 24" big green egg?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Retail on XL BGE is $1199
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #402 on: April 06, 2016, 07:43:38 AM »
This is exciting tho: "And Weber provides a built in port for thermostat temperature controllers like the popular BBQ Guru."
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #403 on: April 06, 2016, 07:44:44 AM »
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I am impressed with what I have seen so far. Having said that, given its price point, unless I win one, it won't be gracing my stable anytime soon. Speaking of price point, I do think that Weber is holding with their track record on price points compared to other grills out there that are readily available. Think about it. It's 1953, you have a choice of buying an open top charcoal brazier for $7-$10 ($88-$95 in today's money) vs a $49 buoy kettle ($400+ today with inflation) Now we are at a point where the classic kettle (including a brand new 26"er) is the brazier price point compared to the Summit being the price of a '50s buoy/kettle (and then some). This new grill is targeted towards the higher disposable income customer much the same way kettles were in the 50s and 60s and the Genesis' in the 80s. I'm  sure that there is a market for it. I need to save up and/or sacrifice if I really want one.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #404 on: April 06, 2016, 07:46:03 AM »
Anyone else notice they left the leg holders on the bottom of the bowl near the ash catcher despite the fact that they are not used on either model?

True to form, Weber reuses existing parts when creating a new grill. Just like they did with the WSM.