Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First PizzaKettle Cook!  (Read 4841 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
First PizzaKettle Cook!
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
A few may have read the post... Karma surprise.. and a good cook!
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/karma-surprise-and-a-good-cook!/

Well this is the very first cook on my "KettlePizza" Crust was a little thick but, first cook like I said.

I am very impressed with this device :). It preformed as well as stated and that is why I really wish I would have gotten one earlier. I will be buying one ASAP for my place up north.

First picture is of the grill I decided to use this on. I know, I know "A COPPER!" yes but still under warranty ;)

KettlePizza With The Line Up. Gray Kettle did the chicken and sausage as well as sautéed onions, sautéed mushrooms, and sautéed spinach.

Copper With KettlePizza Temp Gage. Pegged at 700 plus. I thought I took a picture of KettlePizza temp gage but too many beers :o

First Ever KettlePizza

KettlePizza 2nd Pizza

KettlePizza Night Shot (I LOVE that Shot!!!)

KettlePizza 4 Done

Pizzas are as follows {Clockwise from Left top}
BBQ Chicken, Onions, Mushrooms, and Shredded Colby, Monterey Jack Cheese, Weber Kick'n Spicy BBQ Sauce
Sausage, Onion and 4 cheese mix bag
Spinach, Mushroom, and Garlic provolone cheese
Sausage and onion

Now what I used to heat...

* total of 2 Full chimneys --- 2 sessions
* few giant lump Charcoal chunks unlit
* Hickory wood for some smoke

I really love this thing and will use this many more times. My wife already said we should have a pizza grill night where people can add their own toppings ;D. Got to love that woman she's a keeper!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: First PizzaKettle Cook!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:50:07 AM »
Nicely done!  Man, now I'm jonesing to use mine …

I recommend you apply some oil or stain to those raw wood handles on the KP adaptor.
I'm glad I did that to mine, as they were getting very mucky looking.

And, yeah, don't worry about the copper … I use mine on a redhead.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

ctwhyme

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:18:45 AM »
OMG!!! OMG!! OMG!!! I can't wait to use that with you..
Don't make me angry! You wouldn't like me grilling when I'm angry!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »
I recommend you apply some oil or stain to those raw wood handles on the KP adaptor.
I'm glad I did that to mine, as they were getting very mucky looking.

@MacEggs I thought about that but really wanted to use it! I didn't want to wait. That's the next thing ill be doing. You would think that the company would do it for the price of them. I'm going to contact them and ask why they do not oil or stain them.

I'll let WKC what they say. :)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 10:55:24 AM »
@ctwhyme using it again tonight! stop over grab some beer... who knows you may find a grill at the liquor store  ;)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:55:58 PM »
Good looking pies! Tasty!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 02:18:35 PM »

I really love this thing and will use this many more times. My wife already said we should have a pizza grill night where people can add their own toppings ;D. Got to love that woman she's a keeper!

This paragraph really sums it up well @Shoestringshop!  After my first attempt I could tell I was going to love my KP and all of the time I will spend dialing in fresh made dough, different toppings, coal/wood setup, etc..   My GF also wants me to do a pizza night where everything can have their own people.  We've already done a few nights like that with a friend or two and a max of three pizzas total.  I think she really wants to have a party where I make 8-10 pizzas!  I guess we both found keepers!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 02:53:13 PM »
x3. I love using my KP. Pizza is way better than I've made using any other method. I've managed to get 4 pizzas before the temps come down. But I've found you can add some wood right on top of the grate above the coals to bring the temps back up.

I'd really like to figure out how to get 8-10 pizzas done. I might just buy another KP and run two at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »
Folks just don't know what they're missing, do they?! My wife got me one for Christmas and not a weeks gone by that we haven't made pizzas. Your's look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: First PizzaKettle Cook! Updated!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »
**** Updated *****

2nd day with the KettlePizza
Okay so I got lazy on this one and bought fresh pizza dough from a pizza joint down the street from me. They gave me a few pointers and this round came out better! 1st time was great except pizza dough was thicker then I like. This time WOW thin and delicious.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:15:57 PM »
Very cool. They look very good, and don't feel bad about picking up dough. None of our stores have Italian 00 dough so we've been picking up 16 oz balls at Publix. I understand that Trader Joe's has really good dough but our's is a trip to Nashville. Anyhow, one tip if I may. IF you want the toppings to caramelize any more before the crust burns, (and that's IF because if you're happy that's what counts) you can try moving the stone closer to the opening. One other thing you can do is cook the first pie toward the back of the stone and move each subsequent pie farther from the back of the stone as it'll get hotter during the cook as the wood burns to coals. It's good to see a fellow Kettlepizza user on here so keep posting what you're learning. We're going to Nashville Friday so hopefully I can pick up some flour and finally make pies from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Re: First PizzaKettle Cook! Updated!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 01:43:40 PM »
**** Updated *****

2nd day with the KettlePizza
Okay so I got lazy on this one and bought fresh pizza dough from a pizza joint down the street from me. They gave me a few pointers and this round came out better! 1st time was great except pizza dough was thicker then I like. This time WOW thin and delicious.

I found the store bought dough to be too thick as well.  The Bobby Flay recipe comes out well but I've found if I make twice as many dough balls than the instructions call for it is nice and thin.  I need to try this with store bought dough to see how it works out.  Thinking 3 or mybe 4 pies the same sizes as usually from the same amount of dough should give me a good thin crust that I am looking for.

How much did the pizza shop charge you for dough.  I have a few really good pizza places within a few blocks of me.  Ultimately it will be awesome to perfect my own amazing dough, but buying it from a place a block or two away sounds like a good way to buy a lot of time while I'm perfecting my dough! 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 02:37:08 PM »
Okay this thread is making me want pizza.

I'll second @MikeRocksTheRed on the Bobby Flay dough recipe. I used it this weekend and it turned out great. The only thing I would change in the recipe is next time I'll mix the yeast and water and let it sit for a couple minutes before adding to the flour.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 02:39:11 PM »

I'll second @MikeRocksTheRed on the Bobby Flay dough recipe. I used it this weekend and it turned out great. The only thing I would change in the recipe is next time I'll mix the yeast and water and let it sit for a couple minutes before adding to the flour.

I did do that.  Not sure what lead me to mix it first, but I did...and it was good.

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »

I did do that.  Not sure what lead me to mix it first, but I did...and it was good.
I didn't do it this past weekend and I found some dense spots in my dough. I think the yeast didn't distribute well.