Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Alder-smoked pizza rolls  (Read 1393 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Alder-smoked pizza rolls
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:38:04 AM »
First time with smoke wood, interesting! Do like.

Chilly outside, so I had to warm up with the right koozie:

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Alder-smoked pizza rolls
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:58:05 PM »
Nice.  Grilled pizza rolls are my favorite.  How were they with smoke?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »
Troy I loved it with the smoke. But then again, I'm "addicted" after all.

The kids? Hard to tell ... some indulged and some stayed away. It was their lunch today. As with most things smoked, I smelled a leftover roll a few hours later and it was strong.

But since alder is a mild smoke wood it's just about perfect for this. I used a bunch of chips to ramp it up some, so if you had a solid alder stick or chunk it should be perfect!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
Brilliant!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 07:29:46 AM »
I love it.  Before I got my KettlePizza I used to do frozen pizzas on my grills.  I usually use mesquite (one of the few things I use mesquite for) and the flavor that gets added to the crust is awesome.  I'm sure this was the same thing.

You're koozie cracks me up by the way!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
Who'd a thunk of it? Gonna have to give this one a go.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke bout how long did you let these ride?
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
Too long, a good 12 mins or so I'd guess. Stay closer to the 8-10 mins the package says, methinks. I didn't watch the temp but it was likely around the 400 or so the package calls for?

I think these are like wings in that they're small yet take up a lot of space and cook better indirect --- been too lazy to do that however. I'd wager a true hot/cool 2-zone setup that would shield the ones closest to the heat would be perfect.