Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: dinner, New Year's Day  (Read 1599 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
dinner, New Year's Day
« on: January 04, 2016, 06:03:35 AM »
On the menu at @chuck s ' place:
-- prime rib, fillets, green beans, sliced potatoes --

But first, some snack action with salami, pepperoni, two kinds of cheese and two kinds of crackers:

Potatoes take the longest, so let's prep them first. With some brined garlic we get a head start.

The garlic served two functions, flavor as well as acting as spacers for the potato slices. And ready in a 10" pan, with onions also doing double-duty (flavor + moisture), butter, S & P:

To help cook the tops as evenly as the bottoms and retain moisture we put the lid on, and since the lid was on, there was no need to use charcoal at this stage. So they're on the big burner while charcoal gets started:

If Boeing ever made a Bunsen burner it would be this Charbroil Commercial unit, normally used for boiling a large pot of crab legs and also starting the charcoal chimney. It's not actually about to propel the motorhome up the driveway (I don't think.) :

The beans were prepped with more of the garlic, bacon etc.:

"And just like that" it was time for a beer ....

Potatoes were finished on the grill so that a little alder smoke could do its thing:

Everyone eats gourmet at Chez chuck s!

He of the master touch, working yet another miracle on the MasterTouch!

This cook is Willie Approved.

and dinner rolls

Beans are done!

and so is the meat!

You shoulda been 'dere!

Cheers!

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Re: dinner, New Year's Day
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:28:15 AM »
That steak is perfect!  It's only 8:30 am where I am and now I want steak.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:13:01 AM »
Thanks Dave. But I gotta tell ya, as great as the was, the next night might have been better. Mrs. chuck s made a prime rib roast in the oven. She's been doing this for years, using the method professionals use because it's delicious and reliably repeatable. The "secret" is to cook it for a very short time at a very high temp, then let the oven slowly cool down to nothing over time.

It's one cook that the kettle outside probably couldn't duplicate: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/beef/perfect-prime-rib-everytime-the-best-ever.html
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:04:34 AM »
Great meal between Grillfellas!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »
Everything looked great, even the dog food looked fantastic.  Great job!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
Fantastic cook fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 05:42:43 PM »
Looks great you guys!
That Kashmir is pretty good beer, the brewery just down the street from me too.

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 03:14:41 AM »
It is always a blast to cook with @addicted-to-smoke .... we do have fun.   We try to find something to cook using new tools or methods.....

I don't remember him taking that vid but all is fair! 

BTW the dog food additive is Dynovite.   that stuff is awesome.