Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can't get entire grill hot? Lump  (Read 3865 times)

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
Re: Can't get entire grill hot? Lump
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »
First batch? Not even close.
I've had quite a few batches.

After reading what has been said I think I'm dumping the chimney too soon and putting the lid on too soon.
I always dump before the very top is lit, and I put the lid on the grill immediately.  Sounds like these are both mistakes.
Again... I can light a corner of a basket and close the lid up and the whole thing will be cherry in ~20 min.... if burning coals will not light the ones next to it, it sounds like something very weird is going on with your coal...

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 11:24:33 PM »
@ChrisJ   Do you get the same effect using KBB instead of Lump?   Run some Lump tests (forget about cooking food, just testing).  Try all of the suggestions already given, they sound pretty valid.      Hummmmm, you don't live very close to Area51, do you ??                            SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »
Slide the lid to the side a few inches and it will get rip roaring hot.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »
Try going with 3/4 chimney. Wait until fire is rolling out the top of the chimney. Place a layer of unlit coals on the coal grate and pour lit coals on top. Should make for a hot long lasting fire.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.