Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal cooking at high elevations  (Read 2300 times)

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
Charcoal cooking at high elevations
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:22:36 AM »
Gave my daughter a diy vortex . She lives in Denver . I live in ohio & can easily reach 600 degrees plus . She can only get 350-400 with a full chiminey of kingsford blue and a little less with kingsford comp. Her snakes take about 20-30% more charcoal to achieve same temps as I get in Ohio . I guess it's simply the altitude and you just live with it ?

Any high altitude cookers out there?

& as always cheers

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Re: Charcoal cooking at high elevations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »

Gave my daughter a diy vortex . She lives in Denver . I live in ohio & can easily reach 600 degrees plus . She can only get 350-400 with a full chiminey of kingsford blue and a little less with kingsford comp. Her snakes take about 20-30% more charcoal to achieve same temps as I get in Ohio . I guess it's simply the altitude and you just live with it ?

Any high altitude cookers out there?

& as always cheers

I'm on the West Slope of the Rocky Mountains and yes cooking at higher elevations is different , less oxygen obviously and cooler temps don't help , she may have to run some lump or a mix of lump and KBB to reach the higher temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:43:14 AM »
I hit temps too high for my Maverick to register with my vortex!  She probably just needs to leave the lid of for a little longer to get those coals really cranking along!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »
Yep , that's what I told her to try. Maybe a chunk or 2 of dry hickory . Thanks was hoping for someone to chime in from high country

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
Also, if its a medium vortex it will take a good chiney and half to chimney and three quarters, so she might also try adding more coals.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:51:17 AM »

I hit temps too high for my Maverick to register with my vortex!  She probably just needs to leave the lid of for a little longer to get those coals really cranking along!

She claims she does that. I know that KBB has a temp spike to it  (KC not at all) and I play the spike of the kbb to hit up to 800. Maybe she waits to long ?
I'll pass this on to her thanks

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
I'm a native here in Denver and yes it's  harder to hit the higher temps. The kingsford  comp burns a little hotter.  Tell her to try co-shell it's harder to get going but burns very hot and clean.