Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old style Ash can assemblies - Replace or Mod??  (Read 3690 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Old style Ash can assemblies - Replace or Mod??
« on: September 29, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Ok so I've got a 1998 Master-Touch that has the old style thumbscrew ash sweep handle.

I know they have been discontinued and I will need to get a replacement(s) My Performer is a 1993 as well.  Just looking at it I'm guessing the new H style sweeps aren't going to work with the ring support? I could fab some clamps to the ring and secure them to the sockets or just swap it out with a newer assembly.

Any other creative fixes for this? 
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Old style Ash can assemblies - Replace or Mod??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
i prefer to swap out for newer. Those old ones required precision removal and attachment of the ash bucket, the new ones can be put on in the drunken darkness.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »
Thanks. I was actually wondering if they were interchangeable.
Still need a 22” yellow

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
i prefer to swap out for newer. Those old ones required precision removal and attachment of the ash bucket, the new ones can be put on in the drunken darkness.

Agreed!

As I've cleaned off some of the crud and lightly steel wooled the lid, its apparent that the slide aside lid holder has done some serious road rash damage to the finish over the entire lid.

This just might become a Drum Smoker donor lid. We'll see.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »
I have attached the newer bowl ring to an older performer bowl with some self tapping metal screws.
This works when you don't have legs on the bowl.
 8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 07:16:20 PM »

Heh. Yes, sir, they can. I speak from experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 07:47:19 PM »
Thanks. I was actually wondering if they were interchangeable.

They are, but typically require some minor modifications.
You can use screws, hose clamps, wire, or a dremel.
Wire seems to be the easiest, which is what i've used the last few times.

@pbe gummi bear covered the options in a post here: Converting a Weber OTS into OTG

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:48:38 PM »
Thanks, Troy. I personally like the look of the old style better but it drives me nuts when they sag and rock around. The new style is def more stable.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »
Thanks, Troy. I personally like the look of the old style better but it drives me nuts when they sag and rock around. The new style is def more stable.

I like Gen 2. The squeeze handle ones are too hard to squeeze :(

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 08:10:23 PM »
Here is a OTS I upgraded to a OTG. I had to trim a bit of the tab and bend it to fit in the one offset leg socket. No drilling or screw needed.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 04:04:25 AM »
Converted "M" code OTS to OTG

The gen 1 looks better, but performs horribly compared to newer versions. Had a donor gen1, but decided to purchase the newer style ($27+s/h) through Weber. Used a cut-off wheel (w/o guard=accuracy over safety) to remove an 1/8" from each tab on the ring, and to notch the leg sockets an extra 1/4"(?). Cleaned cuts w/ pencil-style die grinder to ensure the best fit w/o over-cutting.

Use whichever method you think is best & can actually do. IMO, this method seems to be the best way to ensure that it looks factory stock & will perform better over the long run.  I'd be willing to help members with this "operation" if you're in the Milwaukee area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 04:17:55 PM »
Converted "M" code OTS to OTG

The gen 1 looks better, but performs horribly compared to newer versions. Had a donor gen1, but decided to purchase the newer style ($27+s/h) through Weber. Used a cut-off wheel (w/o guard=accuracy over safety) to remove an 1/8" from each tab on the ring, and to notch the leg sockets an extra 1/4"(?). Cleaned cuts w/ pencil-style die grinder to ensure the best fit w/o over-cutting.

Use whichever method you think is best & can actually do. IMO, this method seems to be the best way to ensure that it looks factory stock & will perform better over the long run.  I'd be willing to help members with this "operation" if you're in the Milwaukee area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've had to do this mod before.

Not feeling the new style squeeze handles either, I've got a couple donor black OTG's that will get sacrificed.

Its getting cheaper to buy a used OTG for $35-40 just for parts than to order new POS weber stock.