Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Recent on-line auction score  (Read 4123 times)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Recent on-line auction score
« on: September 26, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »
Last Sunday, fellow member and Wisconsinite @stubblebum pm'd me regarding some goodies he had found in an on-line auction that was near me. Stubblebum was interested in what was there, but not in the 5 hour round trip to get it if he won. He checked the member map and saw I was closest.

Once I saw the pic, I knew the WKC had to win the auction. Up for sale was this little baby (my pic, not the auction pic):

A brown offset handle peg-leg SJ. I couldn't tell it was brown in the pic for sure but still... one of us had to get it.
It was in a lot with a couple of planters (which I'll use), a small pet kennel (which I won't) and a couple of kitchy things. Chad and I were both afraid someone would win the lot for the kennel and throw the Weber in the garbage.
It's not perfect. There's chips in the lid and rust around the leg holes. Worst, all 3 legs are toast. Actually, they're charcoal. One was so bad the previous owner drilled out the leg bolt hole and used a big ass lag bolt to hold the leg on. Really?

So I'll take some measurements and buy the pieces parts to make new legs.

Vents are all operable and intact. I cleaned out the insides and gave the outside a wash. Sorry, no "before" pics.

Some more pics:

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it won't clutter a landfill.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:33:31 PM by Harbormaster »
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: Recent on-line auction score
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:55:08 PM »
Great teamwork!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 03:17:47 PM »
Wow - that is something else!  I would sure use it as a mini-WSM.

QUESTION - not applicable here but it crossed my mind - If a member contacts based on your location and asks if you will agent something and it is something that you want and didn't know was for sale, what should a grillfella do? - go for it? agent it? WHAT??
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
Wow - that is something else!  I would sure use it as a mini-WSM.

QUESTION - not applicable here but it crossed my mind - If a member contacts based on your location and asks if you will agent something and it is something that you want and didn't know was for sale, what should a grillfella do? - go for it? agent it? WHAT??

negotiate
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 03:36:06 PM »

Well, I am a man of integrity, and if asked to agent as you described, I would agent if I could.

In fact, if @stubblebum decides he wants this, it's his for what I have into it. He just has to come get it.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
Very nice....and that handle looks like it would refinish beauty.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »
That's a great find! Love the color!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 08:14:28 PM »
I love that color!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »
very cool nice score
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »
This was the pic @stubblebum and I worked off of and everything that came in the auction lot.

Chad's got a good eye wouldn't ya say?

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 04:58:52 AM »
I might have a good eye but being partially color blind didn't help me. Based on the auction picture I thought there was a possibility that it was another color, but had decided it was probably black. I thought my eyes were playing a trick on me due to the lighting in the picture. That color looks way better in your pictures @Harbormaster.
I will add a few more details on this sometime today when I have some more time (probably later when the Packers game is on).

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »
I'm back a little later than I thought. Here is a little more about the backstory. I found the online auction listing almost a month before the auction occured. At first I was really excited because I was pretty sure that I could win the listing for fairly cheap. As the month went by, I looked at the pictures every other day or so trying to figure out the condition and what type of damage there was based on the online pictures. As the date of the auction came closer, my excitement about the grill was getting lower, mostly due to the time/effort of arranging for pickup and the back/forth drive of about five hours. I am a hunter and really enjoy my time in the woods and marshes so taking a nice fall day for this was looking to be more of a chore. About twelve hours before the auction was to close, I decided to contact @Harbormaster based on him being the closest on the map. I sent the listing in a PM and stated that he might be interested in it. Even though I did not ask, his reply was to offer to agent it for me and saying that it was fairly close to work. He made it clear that I had dibs on it if I wanted it. I stated that if I bid, it wouldn't be for more than $25 and it might be worth more to him. We both agreed that it would be a shame for someone to buy the lot for the kennel or pots at the current price (sub $10) and throw out the grill.

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »

Well, I am a man of integrity, and if asked to agent as you described, I would agent if I could.

In fact, if @stubblebum decides he wants this, it's his for what I have into it. He just has to come get it.
Prior to my interaction with @Harbormaster, if I really wanted something , I probably would have contacted someone about agenting with vague details about where I was acquiring it. In this case, I would have probably asked "Could you agent something for me near Madison? I have a grill I would like to buy but it needs to be picked up in the next week."
As it was, by the time I contacted him I was only going to buy the grill if it was really cheap. I was totally OK with him bidding on it and told him so, hoping that someone who wanted the grill was the winning bidder.

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 09:13:38 AM »
The last part of the story my best recollection of how I probably cost @Harbormaster an extra $10 or so . About an hour or so before the auction is to close the bid for the lot hadn't changed so I increased the current bid by the minimum of 50 cents. A short while later I was outbid by again. I think it was by a bidder who had put in a bid before I contacted @Harbormaster. It started to get in my head that I didn't want the grill to go to a non-grillfella. I bid again and was again outbid but this time the bidder showed up as h****c. My last contact with @Harbormaster was stating that I may still bid but it might be worth more to him. He said that he was also going to bid. We didn't discuss what my name was on the site, and since I don't think he was previously registered he most likely didn't have a username. Oh crap! Is Harbormaster h***c? Do I let this h***c get the lot for $11? What if it is not him? The first time I registered on this site there was an issue and I almost missed the auction because of it. What if he had a similar problem? Oh hell, I have to bid and make sure h***c thinks this lot is worth more than $11. After all I did say that I couldn't see bidding more than $25.  I now entered a maximum bid of $21. It immediately showed up that I was outbid by h***c and then I was sure it was him. Oh balls, I just cost him an extra $10. A short time later I got the PM that stated "Woohoo I got it for $22" and I had to fess up. Luckily I think he thought it was worth it (seeing the Woohoo in the PM made me feel better), especially since the lot had a few other things he said he would use.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
Great story, teamwork and kettle save you guys! What a cool treasure to find for a deal! Good stuff!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E