Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Send up a prayer for a true Weber die-hard.  (Read 5020 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Send up a prayer for a true Weber die-hard.
« on: August 24, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »
I know I've mentioned before that my dad is struggling with a brain disorder.  He's been diagnosed with Lewy-Body dementia, which the same affliction that led Robin Williams to make his final choices... characterized by increasing confusion, hallucinations, and paranoia.  It's pretty grim, and things have gotten worse over the past month or so.  It's gotten to the point that he doesn't recognize my sister, in spite of the fact that she has visited him almost every day this summer.  He's now living full-time in an assisted living facility.

But after a week and a half of him not knowing my sister, he had a moment of clarity the other day, looking up suddenly and greeting her.  They talked for a few minutes, and she mentioned that my brother would be visiting the next day.  My dad thought about this for a minute, then said "Do you think I could have a grilled hamburger?" 

Of course the next day my sister delivered the black OTG that my dad gave her as a wedding present, and they had a great meal.  We'd like to think that that familiar kettle shape and charcoal smell was therapeutic for him, and when I'm visiting later this week we're planning to roll out the grill again.  I'm praying that sometime this week he'll recognize me for a minute, and feel the love from his granddaughters. 

In the earlier phase of his illness when we used to talk on the phone, he would struggle to carry on a conversation but would always click into a good chat about our Webers and what was cooking.  And now, I'm hoping that the iconic silhouette will bring him some moment of clarity and maybe a brief connection with me.  It's a gift he gave me, and I'm so grateful that I can give it back.
One of the charcoal people.

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
Re: Send up a prayer for a true Weber die-hard.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your father. Watching your parents go through any illness is truly awful. Be there for him - be strong for your family - and make sure you cook a damn good meal.

My family and I will keep your Dad and your family in our prayers.

All the best -

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »
Lord have mercy upon your father and your entire family. -Sean
Growing family = growing kettles!

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:52:27 PM »
My prayers with you and your family. Anyone who raised as fine a man as you is great indeed.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your father @mike.stavlund ! You, your father and your family are in our prayers.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:29:04 PM »
Very sorry to hear that Mike - but thank you for sharing the story with us. How excellent is that, that he wants to grill up some burgers with your brother. It sounds like hes very well loved and supported. All the best to you and your fam.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:32:20 PM »
Thank you for sharing this. Thoughts and prayers are absolutely with your father and family.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 06:42:32 PM »
Mike sorry to hear about your dad.  Saying a prayer for him.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 07:16:26 PM »
Very sorry for you and your family. Hope the kettle saves the day!
May The Smoke Be With You!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »
We went thru kind of the same thing with my Dad, he could remember something from when he was young but not anyone in the room.
Prayers for your Father and your family and never underestimate the power of the kettle!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:52 PM »
Sending out prayers for you and your family. Praying  especially that your Dad has a clear mind during your visit.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »
Have strength when you visit, it's difficult.  He deserves your love & attention at this point in his life.  He's given so much, now you can give back in love.  Best of all, I'm with you and your family.         Larry
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 08:48:24 PM »
My prayers, for your father and your family.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »
Prayers for your dad and family, Mike. We'll be there for you through these tough times.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
That's rough Mike.....my Pops was gettin' kinda dementia daffy for a while too......still recognized most everyone, but he would lapse into telling the same stories & jokes a lot.......when I went over to cook though, he would sit out on the picnic table next to where I was working & just grin & grin & call me the "grillmaster".....he had gas or charcoal Webers for years & it DID ring a bell with him to see one cooking......sure of it.......... 8)

Hope the smell of the grill sets him to humming a bar or two !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"