Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Photographing your Kettle  (Read 3930 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Photographing your Kettle
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:39:56 AM »
Some recent posts reminded me that we could use a thread to discuss how best to record your kettle. Some of us do a great job at this already, but we can all improve. I'll start this out, but hope more chime in with their own tricks and tips. Often, when we bring home a new kettle to RRR, it's best to record the "as-is" state. Or when a buddy finds a kettle in the wild and we need to assess whether it's worth a three hour drive, you can advise them to take a few pics like these to better understand what it is they are looking at. So here's an example to get started. A local ad in the paper for an old grill netted this, and here are the shots I think (for me) are a good way to capture the kettle in it's natural state.

First, a front view shot, keeping the lid seam fairly horizontal:

Same angle from one side:

And the other side:

And maybe one more with the lid off.

Next, raise up a bit to take a shot from the font showing a little more of the lid.
You can do a 3/4 shot here, I just didn't have one ready.

Now, a full top view of the lid:

Then, while you're up top, a few of the bowl and grates. (I know, different background, but you get the idea.)

And the same shot without the grates:

A detail shot of the handle is useful, maybe all the handles if you want:

And of course the top vent:

More detail shots of the triangle, ashpan, wheels, and underbelly as you like:

The sky is the limit here, but this should serve to help cover the basics. Try to take the pics early or late in the day when the light is best. Avoid harsh shadows and reflections if you can. Keep the background free of distracting junk. Not always easy, but try a couple shots and see what looks best. Once you find a good corner of your yard (or dining room) that makes a good setting, just stick with it.

This was not intended as the last word in kettle photography, just a few ideas that can help us all enjoy your finds, and help you understand what you just rescued. Once the kettle is all shiny and happy, do it all over again!

Rescue - Rinse - Repeat

Marty
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:01:28 AM by MartyG »

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Photographing your Kettle
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:52:23 AM »
Great thread @MartyG and a GREAT looking 18.5" Redhead
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »
Thanks, Marty.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
That's a beauty.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:41 AM »
I like the idea of "how best to record your kettle" I need to start doing that. I really like scenic pictures. Every now and then I'll take one a Road trip with me.

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 06:09:38 AM »
I always liked this one that I took of a lime that I had, that moved on to @MrHoss last year.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »
Great shots guys. I'm a big fan of posed kettle shots in unusual or simply beautiful locations. "Record" shots and "beauty" shots both have their place as you so aptly demonstrated. Jeff, the lighting on that kettle is what we all try to capture. Did you plan it or were you just accidentally ready? Maybe we need an annual kettle photo contest? I'll work something up...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 06:36:06 AM »
@MartyG 

This was at my mom's the day that I purchased it, I had it sitting out on the lawn while we were relaxing, I also had my new Sony nex camera in hand with the zoom lens and thought the shot looked good.

When I looked at it on the computer I was amazed, so in a nutshell, this was not planned or setup, it was very random.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:48:13 AM »
@LightningBoldtz

Ahhh...nice serendipity then. Also, good composition. The creative tension caused by the wheels and front leg dropping just below the bottom edge, the yellow flower in the background with just the right level of bokeh, and the rule of thirds used without forcing it. Whatever you did, do more! Lesson to us all to have a camera ready, takes lots of shots, and have fun!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:49:44 AM by MartyG »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 07:25:48 AM »
Good idea here Marty.

That Lime Kettle LightningBoldtz found is largely responsible for me getting the urge to photograph:

What I end up doing is to take what looks right to me....if it looks like a marginal shot I won't bother. What I do like I take multiple shots of and sometimes wait for the light to change and take a few more using that same setup. If I know I have a good location and light I will stay there for a 5 minutes or more looking for the right angle. The above picture was taken at a different time/location but this shot:

has 35-40 similar pictures taken at the same time. I can only see a small copy of what I have just taken and really don't know what I have till I get to my desktop. Better to take a whole whack of shots to have a few superior ones that take a few and have diddly. Taking a Kettle off my property produces looks and sometimes folks calling out...this was taken at a sod farm....had a few folks slow down and yell "pretty" or "wow":

Me I like playing with the shadows if I get the chance. Having imperfections is not always bad either:

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 06:34:40 PM »
MrHoss,

Good idea here Marty.

That Lime Kettle LightningBoldtz found is largely responsible for me getting the urge to photograph:

...this was taken at a sod farm....had a few folks slow down and yell "pretty" or "wow":

I'll yell WOW!!! Very Nice Picture!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »
That Lime is very photogenic

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »
Here's a few I took

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 06:58:48 PM »

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 05:32:08 AM »
I had the good fortune to meet @56MPG yesterday and our discussion reminded me of this thread he started almost a year ago.  It was a good refresher for me and I thought it might be worth a bump for some of the newer guys around here.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"